It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:00 pm 

I had the plan for quite some time but never got around to it, until a member of a FB-group brought it up. Others have done it before--some time ago you could even buy a whistle with a Sweetone mouthpiece and straight bore metal body from TWZ. So I thought I'll give it a shot.
In the first experiment I simply took the body of a Waltons "mellow D" because it has a wider barrell. I wrapped some sticky tape around the barrel and stuck the Sweetone head on it. Worked like a charm but it was no perfect fit. So I made two bodies from PVC--the first one had tuning issues as it was just a quick and dirty job. Made another one today and this time it plays gorgeously. Insanely agile whistle, snappy ornaments, in-tune cross-fingered C nat--it performs better than any plastic whistle I have bought so far. And it was a fun little experiment. I used a small insert in the head to bring the octaves in tune since it is now a wide-bore whistle and without the insert the 2nd octave was flat -- bigger holes might have solved this, as Chuck Tilbury told me, but it would have made it louder. The 2nd octave is also less loud with the insert. It is still a bit louder than with the original body but it plays so much better and finally I can use the fantastic mouthpiece of the Sweetone and got rid of the annoying seam of the rolled-tin barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:54 am 

Congrats, & it looks nice too. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:17 am 

Thanks -- it is a slightly different material than what I normally use. It's more of an off-white and less grey like the usual cable canal stuff from the hardware store. Looks definitely nicer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:27 am 

play us a tune - looks very clean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:41 am 

Your wish is my command. I am still working on that tune. It is "The High Level" as played by Micho Russell but my execution is still sloppy and I am not the best player. It is also just recorded with the built-in mic of the laptop as my son "borrowed" my Samson GoMic for his online gaming.
https://youtu.be/USyBwi_RJjo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:02 pm 

sounds better than a regular sweetone, i am a firm lover of the original Clarkes, never care for sweetones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:32 am 

Thank :). I also think it sounds better than with the original tube. I do like the sound of the original Clarke, too. I also like my Shaw. Not too fond of the air requirements though. I sometimes run out of breath on long phrases. I wonder how a tweaked version plays. I heard that Jerry Freeman has tweaked them for instance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 am 

Sedi wrote:
...I can use the fantastic mouthpiece of the Sweetone and got rid of the annoying seam of the rolled-tin barrel.

A blob of blu-tac / poster putty cushions the seam with a lot less effort. An interesting experiment though. :-)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hyldas
http://www.myspace.com/reel2reelfolk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:52 pm 

Yes, I also thought about simply using sandpaper to make the seam less pronounced. But the experiment proved a success. And it was not really a lot of work.