How best to practice going between the octave?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
V-Twin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I come here wanting to learn about the penny whistle. A couple of years ago I picked up a native American flute and have been taking lessons to learn to play it. I wanted to expand my wind instrument playing and saw a you tube video that piqued my interest. I placed an order for two Freeman tweaked whistles which I hope I can learn to play.

How best to practice going between the octave?

Post by V-Twin »

I recently received a tweaked Mellow Dog and Blackbird D whistles. Having never played the whistle I want to learn how best to control breath to go from one octave to the other. I have been practicing going up and down the scale trying to fine tune the amount of air I put through the whistle. It seems on the Mellow Dog that the upper three notes takes a lot of breath pressure to keep it at the higher octave. Do others find this to be the case or is my technique in need of fixing?
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: How best to practice going between the octave?

Post by fatmac »

Each whistle has its own naunces, you will get used to it soon enough, generally, I'd suggest going up the notes one at a time, blowing into the second octave on each note as you go. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
V-Twin
Tell us something.: I come here wanting to learn about the penny whistle. A couple of years ago I picked up a native American flute and have been taking lessons to learn to play it. I wanted to expand my wind instrument playing and saw a you tube video that piqued my interest. I placed an order for two Freeman tweaked whistles which I hope I can learn to play.

Post by V-Twin »

fatmac wrote:Each whistle has its own naunces, you will get used to it soon enough, generally, I'd suggest going up the notes one at a time, blowing into the second octave on each note as you go. :)
Thanks. I'll give that a go.
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

Keep in mind that it's a matter of velocity and not really volume. Although I am sure it seems that way at first.

Blowing more air through the mouthpiece does increase the air speed, but that's only one way. If you play with the end of the mouthpiece between your lips and not actually in your mouth, you will be able to narrow the airflow and thus increase the velocity.

I think most people automatically use a combination of more volume plus a narrower opening when the mouthpiece is in that location.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

At least one of my whistles wants less air and more push from my diaphragm or it screeches. With this one I open my mouth a bit to let air escape. It still demands that big push though. So the note requires a speedy airflow but not quite as much actual air that my body wants to throw at it when I push. Hence the need for it to escape on either side of the mouthpiece.

Your whistle may or may not like this treatment.

I have no idea if that is going to make sense to anyone. It is pretty hard to explain :D .

The exercises of going up to a note from various notes on a scale is good too. As well as running up to the note by playing three of four notes in the scale to get there.

The more you do it the easier it will be.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have students do the standard sort of exercise, starting:
DdDdDdD…
on a single breath, no tonguing.
Then
EeEeEeE…
and on up to
BbBbBbB…
to finish.
C-to-c is an outlier because those notes use different fingerings.

Another execise to build breath-control and tone is
DEDF#DGDADBDcDdDeDf#DgDaDb
once more with no tonguing.
If you can rapidly go from Bottom D to high b and back, precisely and with good tone, with no tonguing, you really know how to control a whistle.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle