Feadog Pro D vs Oak D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cpcnw
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Am looking at buying / learning penny whistle and would appreciate some advice. No doubt once I have actually bought a whistle and start to actually learn to play I would also like to ask some further questions.

Feadog Pro D vs Oak D

Post by cpcnw »

Hi,

1st post from n00b whistler here...

I bought a couple of £6 whistles as an experiment; a Lark Polymer and a Clarke Sweetone

The Clarke sounds raspy / cheap on the 2nd octave and the Lark is so fussy about pressure its far too easy to go into 3rd or stay low. It also sounds too much like a recorder. Obviously I need practice but am thinking of doubling that £6 and seeing if that helps me at all.

So have looked at reviews of the Feadog Pro and the Oak - seems mostly positive on both really and they are both around £12

Anyone any experience of either of these - or other pearls of wisdom?

Tia!
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Feadog Pro D vs Oak D

Post by Sedi »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I have both. They seem to use the same barrel (probably from a third party) -- a more heavy brass barrel than normal whistles. The Oak sounds a little less chiffy. I like them both. Maybe the Oak ranks slightly "above" considering how stable the sound is. But the difference is minimal. Both are great, cheap whistles. Can't go wrong with either.
cpcnw
Tell us something.: Am looking at buying / learning penny whistle and would appreciate some advice. No doubt once I have actually bought a whistle and start to actually learn to play I would also like to ask some further questions.

Post by cpcnw »

Thanks for the welcome and the tips! :thumbsup:
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

My Clarkes Sweetone doesn't sound raspy, but if you want something with less presence, maybe try a Tony Dixon ABS.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
cpcnw

Post by cpcnw »

Yep, been looking at the Tony Dixon DXTRAD which is about £16 via 1to1 Music on fleabay

Also, since my last post have found the Oak D for £9

So many choices...
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Dixon trad is also nice. Has a slightly larger bore and larger windway so it needs a little more air but is also a bit more stable to play for a beginner. And it is tunable.