High C whistles, what is your favourite and why??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Frizzygirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am learning how to play Irish Whistles. I have 3 high D's and 1 Low D made in the U.S.A by theirishwhistle which is polycarbonate.

High C whistles, what is your favourite and why??

Post by Frizzygirl »

I am looking for a high C whistle and would like opinions on what brands you have and why you like it.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: High C whistles, what is your favourite and why??

Post by fatmac »

Tony Dixon tuneable aluminium, has a lovely tone, & I can play it as a high flute/piccolo too, because I bought the Duo model. :)

I don't have too many of these high C, but another I like is the Clarkes Sweetone, & I have a couple of Generations & a couple of plastic ones that also sound quite nice.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Frizzygirl

My high C whistles are part of sets, a Syn D/C set, a Syn A to E set (one head and multiple bodies) and a C/B set based on a Sweetheart C whistle.

I like both the Syn and Sweetheart C they are not difficult to play and in the case of the Syns, incredibly robust. The Sweetheart, being wooden, would likely be a considered purchase. The Syn C is only available as part of a set of whistle bodies with one common head.

If you are in the US, then look at the Irish Flute Store. In the UK try Big Whistle.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

My favorite and go-to C whistle is a 70's-vintage Generation; nimble and light, good tone.

I also have a O'Brien wooden whistle that comes with different tube pieces to play in both D and C. I'm not crazy about wooden whistles, but this one plays in tune and is nice enough for what it is. The sound is quieter and more mellow than my Generation; sometimes I use it when playing with my wife to let her harp come through more.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

The only Cs I play, listed alphabetically:

Freeman Blackbird
Shearwater Alloy
Susato Oriole

It's hard to explain why but I'll try.
Blackbird's sweet voice and gentle air requirement.
Shearwater's hiss and it allows me to lean into high notes without being screechy.
Susato's volume without being obnoxious. I must say, though, this is the only Susato that I actually like.

All of them have a nice OXX OOO
Last edited by Tyler DelGregg on Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

The only C natural I have that is still purchasable is the Killarney nickel silver tube. I find it quite nice, even and easy to play, but don't use Cs very much. I have an O'roirdan and a Schultz water weasel set that have Cs. Both of these are very nice but not easy to find.
Frizzygirl
Tell us something.: I am learning how to play Irish Whistles. I have 3 high D's and 1 Low D made in the U.S.A by theirishwhistle which is polycarbonate.

Post by Frizzygirl »

Thank you all for your input. Much to consider! :boggle:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Just to add to the options, Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog C....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

Favorite : Feadog nickel. My wife bought it for me during a trip to Scotland a few years ago.

Second: Susato Kildare. Good volume. Excellent intonation.

Third: Parks walkabout. Great intonation. Controllable volume.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

+1
I also love the Feadóg C. And my vintage Generation but the head cracked over the years. Still plays fine though. My first whistle.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

I have a few inexpensive C whistles but my go-to is an older Generation that I got from the thrift store for $.99. It plays great and looks like it came out of a treasure chest.
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

If any of your playing will be outdoors, it's hard to best the Susato Kildare. Very resistant to wind and, in my opinion, the best sounding key in the Susato line. I recommend the o-ring tweak that you will find discussed in older posts.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

My #1 C whistle is a Generation I got around 1980.

I've tried C's from Burke, Susato, Sindt, Dixon, and so many other makers I can't remember, including fancy wood ones by big-name makers that cost several hundred dollars, and none of them come close to that Generation.

It's had no modifications to the head other than filling the cavity below the windway, which raised the 2nd octave a bit, and sweetened the tone overall.

As it came, the "G" (in D-speak) was sharper than all the other notes, and I played this whistle for years with tape on that hole.

Then one day I bit the bullet and chopped the bottom and carved out the other holes to give a perfect scale with no tape.

A few months ago I bought a pile of old cheap whistles and the diamond in the rough was a Waltons C that is superb. It's probably the second-best C I've played.

As far as the "why", what I like is a very sweet easy light responsive 2nd octave and a full round low octave, with minimal "break" between the octaves, and a complex sophisticated tone.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
JTU
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Post by JTU »

Like Big Davy I am also a fan of the Syn C. You can buy it on the Oz Whistle site or direct from the maker Erle Bartlett. Mitch, on the Oz Whistle site, describes the Syn C as “pure magic” and I think he is correct. You can buy it as part of a D, C package although I wouldn’t let that put you of because if you buy the D the C tube is only around (at least last time I looked) $20 AUD and if you are an overseas buyer $110 AUD for the set must be extraordinarily good value.

BTW I notice that Mitch had a once off West Indian Cocus Wood high D for sale that went really quickly. Missed it when it came up or I might have bought it. Did anyone here buy it if so what’s it like?

All the Best
JT
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:The only Cs I play, listed alphabetically:

Freeman Blackbird
This one for me too.