Removing the head of a Clare two-piece whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Removing the head of a Clare two-piece whistle

Post by Steve Bliven »

Recently got a new Clare two-piece whistle. I wanted to remove the head to clean out some extraneous bits of metal (in the tube) and plastic (in the head). For those who have removed the head, what technique did you use? This one doesn't seem to want to move with simple twisting by hand.

Thanks and best wishes,

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Removing the head of a Clare two-piece whistle

Post by Mr.Gumby »

'Throw' it a few times into the tube of a C whistle. That will do it.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Yes that worked for me too, but, I don't think my Clare head was fastened too tight to begin with. Twisting by hand did not work but gentle dropping into the C tube did work. I kind of like the Clare whistle especially for the current price.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Well, that ain't working for me. Must be some new glue that Mr. La Bas is using. If I keep it up I'll soon have a C# instead of a C whistle as the receptor....

Best wishes.

Steve
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That's odd. I have yet to meet a whistle that wouldn't submit to perhaps three or four attempts at that treatment.

Time to bring in the blowtorches?
My brain hurts

ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Could it just be the shorter "throw" and the smaller tube mass of a 2 part whistle (only using the top section I would have thought).
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Yes, I thought that as well. Or considered it at least. For it to work there needs to be a certain amount of force and the short distance and lesser weight of the half tube will impact that.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Potential thesis material ?

Best wishes.

Steve
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Steve Bliven wrote:Potential thesis material ?

Best wishes.

Steve
Newton's second law of motion 332 years late.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

My suggestion would be to contact Clare Whistle for advice. They are on Facebook. However, I would note several points. Sadly, David Le Bas is no longer with us. His death notice can be found here: https://notices.irishtimes.com/death/le ... d/41222542 . I am not sure who is currently the acting principal of the manufacturing concern. It may be his widow, Olive.
For myself, I am using beeswax and petroleum jelly to allow for some adjustment of the joint to give a little tuning scope. I have not attempted to break the bond of the whistle head itself.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

an seanduine wrote:Sadly, David Le Bas is no longer with us. His death notice can be found here: https://notices.irishtimes.com/death/le ... d/41222542 . I am not sure who is currently the acting principal of the manufacturing concern. It may be his widow, Olive.
Sorry to hear of Mr. Le Bas's passing. The Clare Whistle web site hasn't been updated and still lists him as living in Dublin. Hence the confusion on my part.
an seanduine wrote:For myself, I am using beeswax and petroleum jelly to allow for some adjustment of the joint to give a little tuning scope. I have not attempted to break the bond of the whistle head itself.
To get to A=440, I need to move the head about 3/16". I can do that at the joint but it begins to get close to where the parts will separate. I figure there is more scope to move the head—if only I could move it. I sent a note to the company and am awaiting a response.

Best wishes.

Steve
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

For those in future generations reading this thread seeking enlightenment, none here (yet).

Got a response from Olive Le Bas at Clare Whistles who offered the following, "We don't use glue to fit the heads, they are just slipped on to the brass barrel.

"However, some fit a little tighter than others, and don't adjust too easily. Usually running it under hot water expands it enough to be adjusted. You could try it again until the plastic mouthpiece becomes quite warm and try to move it then."

Didn't work the first couple of times. I'm wondering whether heat just makes both the head and the barrel expand a bit, getting things even tighter. So I'll try the refrigerator first and then maybe the freezer. I'll probably end up ordering another whistle when I destroy the head on this one. Live and learn.

Best wishes.

Steve
ecadre

Post by ecadre »

Steve Bliven wrote:For those in future generations reading this thread seeking enlightenment, none here (yet).

Got a response from Olive Le Bas at Clare Whistles who offered the following, "We don't use glue to fit the heads, they are just slipped on to the brass barrel.

"However, some fit a little tighter than others, and don't adjust too easily. Usually running it under hot water expands it enough to be adjusted. You could try it again until the plastic mouthpiece becomes quite warm and try to move it then."

Didn't work the first couple of times. I'm wondering whether heat just makes both the head and the barrel expand a bit, getting things even tighter. So I'll try the refrigerator first and then maybe the freezer. I'll probably end up ordering another whistle when I destroy the head on this one. Live and learn.

Best wishes.

Steve

If you look it up (as I did once), ABS plastic expands more than brass when it is heated. Therefore, no, the head wouldn't become tighter because of the expansion of the brass.

Edited to add:

Here's the post where I mentioned it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108039#p1213482
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I was wondering whether the expansion of the plastic head would make it grip the tube more tightly...

Best wishes.

Steve
ecadre

Post by ecadre »

Steve Bliven wrote:I was wondering whether the expansion of the plastic head would make it grip the tube more tightly...

Best wishes.

Steve
It's a common misconception, but, no, it doesn't work like that. When you heat a ring of solid brass or ABS plastic, the diameter increases. The diameter of the ABS plastic ring/sleeve will increase when heated, and since it has a higher expansion coefficient (4 to 5 times) than brass, its grip on the brass tube will lessen.