3d Printed whistle.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: 3d Printed whistle.

Post by Wanderer »

https://youtu.be/USv4EBJC__A

Getting a little closer. Still a lot of work to be done. This one didn't require nearly as much tweaking to get it to make a sound, at least
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Here it is, almost exactly one month and 21 whistle heads later. I feel like I've nailed down tweaking the head part of the design. There is still a fairly big octave problem: You have to play the first octave relatively soft, and really push the 2nd octave for them to be close to in tune witch each other.

Off to the drawing board to fix the body part of the design. I'm excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Z6S--tkeY
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Wanderer wrote:There is still a fairly big octave problem: You have to play the first octave relatively soft, and really push the 2nd octave for them to be close to in tune witch each other.
So... It's a whistle? Or do you mean more than usual?

Try undercutting the holes, for sure - O'Rioden's are blessed with thick tubes to work with. Increasing the size of the lowest two holes can also help the octaves tune better.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:
Wanderer wrote:There is still a fairly big octave problem: You have to play the first octave relatively soft, and really push the 2nd octave for them to be close to in tune witch each other.

Try undercutting the holes, for sure - O'Rioden's are blessed with thick tubes to work with. Increasing the size of the lowest two holes can also help the octaves tune better.

More than usual :P More than I'd be comfortable with putting my name on, for sure.
I'd considered undercutting the holes. Also, I found this thread talking about a bore restriction. I may try both methods and see which I prefer.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Wanderer wrote:
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:

More than usual :P More than I'd be comfortable with putting my name on, for sure.
I'd considered undercutting the holes. Also, I found this thread talking about a bore restriction. I may try both methods and see which I prefer.

Wow! Good find - that will really help me as well; my body tubes are just normal Generation-type brass. So interesting that a sharp, not smooth gradation will have that effect!