Can Anyone Help Me?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
borjomi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here to discuss Irish music. I play the whistle. I've been playing for a year. I'm interested in learning as much as I can about this music. Maybe one day I can play in public. That would be quite fun. I wonder if it would be frowned upon. I suppose I will try it anyway.

The word chiff and fipple is pretty cool. I wonder what the origins are. I'd like to study everything about Irish music. Maybe I could find a teacher in my area. It's hard though since I live in a small town. Most people don't even know what it's all about. Man, they need to learn. Because it's so much fun. I wish I lived in Ireland. Then I could be real good. Would not that be cool.

Can Anyone Help Me?

Post by borjomi »

Hello all,

I tried to post this is the used instrument part of this site, but apparently I am unable to do so. So I'll try it here -- hope that is okay.

Long story short: I am trying to replace a damaged whistle. I'm looking for a tuneable Michael Burke d whistle made in a composite material (fakewood/resin type deal) that was made between '99 and 2001 ( I am assuming that is what the numbers mean -- see picture). According to legend (and Michael Burke's website), he does not make whistles in this material anymore.

Does anyone have a composite whistle from Michael Burke for sale? Any ideas?

Thank you so much for any comments or tips.

ImageImage
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Re: Can Anyone Help Me?

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

The Irish Flute Store in Greely, Colorado has a number of previously owned Burke composite whistles available. They don't have one in composite high D, however.
borjomi
Tell us something.: I'm here to discuss Irish music. I play the whistle. I've been playing for a year. I'm interested in learning as much as I can about this music. Maybe one day I can play in public. That would be quite fun. I wonder if it would be frowned upon. I suppose I will try it anyway.

The word chiff and fipple is pretty cool. I wonder what the origins are. I'd like to study everything about Irish music. Maybe I could find a teacher in my area. It's hard though since I live in a small town. Most people don't even know what it's all about. Man, they need to learn. Because it's so much fun. I wish I lived in Ireland. Then I could be real good. Would not that be cool.

Post by borjomi »

Thank you for your idea
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I just want to add that I know borjomi in real life and recommended her here, in case anyone is hesitant about this being some type of new member scam.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Whistle looks like it has some character!

What's the actual damage? Could it not be repaired with some kind of super glue / resin job?
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
qaantar
Tell us something.: I'm a long-time musician, grew up with piano, recorder, electric bass. Now I've picked up the tin whistle and have been exploring Irish music.

Post by qaantar »

Check out the first picture (scroll to the right if you have to) -- it looks like the whistle has almost completely split at the first finger hole.

I'd be curious about the potential of repairs with this material as well... seems like it might be amenable to epoxies?
borjomi

Post by borjomi »

Hadn't considered that it could be fixed -- you all think it could be possible?!
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I would contact Michael Burke. He will likely have the most definitive answer as to repairability. Good luck!