It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:49 pm 

I bought a Tony Dixon DX006, the aluminum, in D and I'm quite pleased with it's tone, precise sound of the notes, intonation, loudness, responsiveness to various air pressures, and playability through the full two octaves and a little higher. It's not expensive.

As a long-time wind instrument player, I can't see any problems with it. The only minor issue I have with it, sometimes, is that the air channel in the mouthpiece is one of the narrower designs, so you need to give it a blast of air to clear it out, just a little more often than the larger-throated mouthpieces. With a little warming up before playing, it sounds excellent, it really sings, it's a keeper and it's good enough to be there enticing me to improve my skill. If I want a different kind of whistle, like a Chieftain Thunderbird, for the more big-lunged approach, control and performance, I can do that , but the Dixon DX006 I can recommend to everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:50 pm 

ecadre wrote:
The story about Generation whistles seems to have again moved from the claim that you have to try a few to get that really exceptional one, to you have to try loads before you can get one that doesn't sound terrible or play at all.

A few posts above your post I said the opposite, that a student walked into a shop, picked up a Generation D at random (without trying it) and it was superb.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:10 am 

Quote:
A few posts above your post I said the opposite, that a student walked into a shop, picked up a Generation D at random (without trying it) and it was superb.

I had a run through a dozen or more Ds in a shop during the summer and found each and every one of them nice, in facr better than I have found them in years. I didn't need one but would have happily played any of them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:14 am 

Yes, I also noticed that they are better now than a few years back. They seem to have replaced the worn out molds. But I have some that are truly and utterly horrible. They are all over the place. But often a new batch is shipped and they are all good. The ones I have that suck all have exactly the same flaws on the mouthpiece which were certainly caused by worn out molds.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:44 am 

The Gens over the last few years, when I bought all mine, are pretty good players.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:07 pm 

maiingan wrote:

...cheap whistles on you tube...the high notes are ear piercing.

...suggestions for a better beginner through intermediate whistle...that isn't ear piercing in higher register...

Just to hear where I'm coming from, here are the whistles I take to gigs. All are "professional" due to being used in studio work (TV, film, spots, albums) and in live situations. The high keys- Eb, D, C#, C, B, and Bb all cost less than $10 each.

You'll hear that I've chosen whistles with sweet clean high notes. Yes high notes are high, there's no getting around that. And if, for you, high notes are by definition ear-piercing then you'll never find a whistle with high non-ear-piercing notes. In other words you might be after something that can't exist! But my whistles have as civilized high notes as I've heard on whistles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-fQhvleWq8&t=159s

Give a listen and let me know if those are the sort of high notes that you are after.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:50 pm 

RoberTunes wrote:
I bought a Tony Dixon DX006, the aluminum, in D and I'm quite pleased with it's tone, precise sound of the notes, intonation, loudness, responsiveness to various air pressures, and playability through the full two octaves and a little higher. It's not expensive.

I'm curious about this whistle. Would you say it is loud enough for a session?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:00 am 

Seamus McNaught wrote:
RoberTunes wrote:

I'm curious about this whistle. Would you say it is loud enough for a session?

Pretty sure! I had to check some alternate practice locations to drive at an answer here. I've practiced in the alcove at a schoolyard, beside a major roadway, and at the nearby university in a large room at the top of a stairwell. Estimating it combined or competing for volume with other sound sources; I can't see how the whistle is lacking, though it isn't the absolute loudest whistle made. I've played many whistles, I've even got sports whistles and have played flute since Pangaea split up, and being in a pub environment I'd be happy with this whistle. I'd expect it to cut through the chatter and work in a band setting just fine. It's a soprano D, so that helps of course, they're up there in pitch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:07 pm 

Awesome. Thanks.

have played flute since Pangaea split up

Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:29 pm 

A Clarke Original C might be to your liking, too. Clarke Originals, on the whole, are pretty sweet and mellow with polite volume.

Way back when I started playing whistle, I came from an classical/orchestral instrument background, too. And over the past 20-odd years, I've owned a couple dozen whistles (Sindt, Burke, Killarney, Milligan, Dixon, Susato, Hoover, Generation, Feadog, Waltons, Clare, Clarke, Reyburn, Goldie, Freeman, Humphrey, Alba, and perhaps others I'm forgetting).

But as I learned, seeking the perfect whistle is a fool's errand. After all of that, I'm back to one of the first whistles I ever owned: a Clarke Original D (with a bit of tweaking of the blade height to optimize the tone). It's not the perfect whistle, but to my ears, it's the best...for just $10.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 pm 

tin tin wrote:
A Clarke Original C might be to your liking, too. Clarke Originals, on the whole, are pretty sweet and mellow with polite volume.

Way back when I started playing whistle, I came from an classical/orchestral instrument background, too. And over the past 20-odd years, I've owned a couple dozen whistles (Sindt, Burke, Killarney, Milligan, Dixon, Susato, Hoover, Generation, Feadog, Waltons, Clare, Clarke, Reyburn, Goldie, Freeman, Humphrey, Alba, and perhaps others I'm forgetting).

But as I learned, seeking the perfect whistle is a fool's errand. After all of that, I'm back to one of the first whistles I ever owned: a Clarke Original D (with a bit of tweaking of the blade height to optimize the tone). It's not the perfect whistle, but to my ears, it's the best...for just $10.

At the risk of getting into trouble, I agree with you, but must also add that the Clarke Original D is like that one sweet natured girlfriend who was super nice even when I was being a first rate jerk.