Where are your ‘car whistles’

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Where are your ‘car whistles’

Post by Nanohedron »

ytliek wrote:On another thought the billboards must get some type of government approval so is the government endorsing distracted driving?
That might be an interesting argument in court.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Nanohedron wrote:Before I proceed, let me assure you that "white knuckle vigilance" far overstates the matter, at least in my case. I do, however, advocate awareness. A white-knuckled approach is in itself a distraction because it is based on fear, and fear blinds. I've ridden with white-knuckled drivers, and they're not good drivers. I always want to get out, or take over.
And do be aware that I am nòt advocating a "white knuckle" and fear based kind of driving. Just advocating for common sense, vigilance on the road and focus on what you're supposed to be doing, rather than those things that needlessly distract.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

whistlecollector wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Before I proceed, let me assure you that "white knuckle vigilance" far overstates the matter, at least in my case. I do, however, advocate awareness. A white-knuckled approach is in itself a distraction because it is based on fear, and fear blinds. I've ridden with white-knuckled drivers, and they're not good drivers. I always want to get out, or take over.
And do be aware that I am nòt advocating a "white knuckle" and fear based kind of driving. Just advocating for common sense, vigilance on the road and focus on what you're supposed to be doing, rather than those things that needlessly distract.
I never assumed that about you; from what I can tell, you and I seem to be pretty much on the same page. 'Twas PB+J brought up the phrase "white knuckle", and I thought it hyperbolic enough that someone should speak up. What I do, instead, is be on top of things. That's a world of difference.

Although I keep seeing this...
whistlecollector wrote:It's just common sense: Don't Toot and Drive!.
...as "Don't Toot and Drivel". Sage advice in its own right. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:whistling at a stop is up there with texting or putting on makeup
Five pages of discussion so far when 13 words is enough!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Nanohedron wrote:
ytliek wrote:On another thought the billboards must get some type of government approval so is the government endorsing distracted driving?
That might be an interesting argument in court.
Found just the example for Hartford, CT, btw, "the Insurance state," in particular watch from 4:56 with the old Colt Firearms blue dome on right and there are examples of the lighted signs too along the way. Especially watch signage after 5:13 thru 5:30 all while travelling at 55mph for the safe drivers and faster for the Grand Prix crowd.

I live an hour south of Hartford sandwiched between New Haven and Bridgeport, CT. Welcome to my state, please slow down to read the advertisements as there is loads of things to do here... and most of all... enjoy the ride. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJqpTxWaCZ8

p.s. but my post has video action. :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:whistling at a stop is up there with texting or putting on makeup
Ah, but squabbling is so much more fun.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Nanohedron wrote: Ah, but squabbling is so much more fun.
Indeed :D

│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Talk about jumping in with both feet...
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how much more distracting it is to drive on the wrong side of the road....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'm a Southern California Car Whistler.

My "car whistle" is usually my best whistle, the whistle I perform most on. Why? Because I do nearly all of my practicing in the car, and I think it's best to practice on the same instrument I will be performing on.

So currently I have a Goldie Low D and a Killarney High D. Where? On the passenger seat.

During large parts of the year it's hot here and temperatures inside a parked car can go well over 100 degrees. I've seen plastic warp, wood shrink. So year-round the only whistles that can survive being in a car unharmed are all-metal ones like Goldies.

About how much time is involved, I've read that Los Angeles leads the USA in time drivers spend stuck in traffic, an average of over 100 hours a year. So it's not a trifling amount of practice time involved!

About the laws, I just read a bit online and evidently only mobile phone use is specifically banned by law. Everything else would come under "wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property". This, I assume, would only be in effect when the car is in motion because California law makes a important distinction between "moving violations" and "non-moving violations".

I once saw a guy with a newspaper opened up across his steering wheel, drinking coffee, and shaving, while driving down the freeway; there's your "wanton disregard"!

About being rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light, when there's several other cars also stopped behind you it's extremely unlikely that you could be rear-ended hard enough to harm anything.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Playing the tabor whistle while driving could be safer than drinking hot coffee, unless you drive a stick.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:Playing the tabor whistle while driving could be safer than drinking hot coffee, unless you drive a stick.
Not if you value your hearing. The high pitch of a tabor pipe in an enclosed area like a car tends to shred soft tissue.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Haha, nice one Peter. I got bored of this debate three pages ago.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

"whistling at a stop is up there with texting or putting on makeup"

and none of these are moving violations here.

As I read the law, you can do many things in a car that's not moving.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

pancelticpiper wrote:and evidently only mobile phone use is specifically banned by law.
pancelticpiper wrote:and none of these are moving violations here.
Texting's not mobile phone use?

I just can't believe anyone thinks it's OK to play whistle (or any other musical instrument) while stopped at a traffic light while driving. It's absolutely that simple.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?