Where are your ‘car whistles’

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
missmary49
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Where are your ‘car whistles’

Post by missmary49 »

I was relieved when I read some one use the term ‘car whistle’ that I wasn’t the only one who has one stashed in my car for inspiration in the parking lot or stop lights. And I’ve NEVER driven with my knee... :D
:tomato:

Ok but seriously, where do you have random whistles stashed for easy access of playing? Outside of where to store them properly.

I have one in the car and one the pen cup in the kitchen. And I’ve been known to carry one in my purse on occasion.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Where are your ‘car whistles’

Post by fatmac »

Mostly, mine stay in the drawer (in my bedroom) where I keep them, but I have been known to have one or two laying around in the living room area.

I've thought about taking one on one of my walks, but I'm not good at remembering tunes! :lol:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I have a couple in the door pocket of my car. I usually have on in my laptop bag as well
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Couple Susatos in the car, rack of 6 in the kitchen, a few in the basement, and a D/C in the on the go bag.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

We have a few vehicles on the road at all times and they all have a whistle in them somewhere. My best stash spot is in our old Cherokee where my Sweetone sits perfectly on the dash on front of the speedometer. Always ready at a moments notice.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Most are in a jug in the kitchen, or low whistles/longer ones in an antique wooden box in the living room.

One cheapie (Meg) on upstairs dresser.

One cheapie (Meg) in truck console.... thought I had a Walton there, was actually surprised this morning to see it was a Meg).

One in my desk drawer at work. In my old workspace, I could play a tune, this one is too public, so will probably repatriate that one home. Another Walton, thinking I will fit that tube to a Sindt head.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Adrian W. wrote:One cheapie (Meg) in truck console.... thought I had a Walton there, was actually surprised this morning to see it was a Meg).
Oo, someone was visited by the Whistle Fairy!

-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

Uhm... One in the visor... One in the glove box... A Walkabout in my fanny pack... One on my desk at work... A Tipple low D flute in my back pack... And three or four whistles on the dining room table.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Post by michaelpthompson »

Three of 'em on the dashboard. There's a little shelf there that is perfect.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

One in mini-van. One in laptop bag. Rest in backpack (ready for heading to the session) or on desk.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I must admit, I'm always horrified when people admit to playing whistles at red traffic lights. This is dangerous, and would definitely be illegal in the UK. Is it not illegal in the US? If not, it should be.

I don't have whistles in the car. It's not the place for them.
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

I agree with Benhall.1 Cars aren't the best whistle playing environment for all sorts of reasons.

That said, I don't drive so who I am to make too harsh a judgement... I have a walking whistle! My sessions are with a flock of Wheatears and a pair of Stone Chats.

One of my Freeman Blackbirds lives in my walking bag and get played regularly all alone (Sorry passers by!) while sheltering behind mountain top cairns, inside bronze age stone circles, and in ancient woodland of the Peak District not too far from my lovely little council flat where my cat tires of my indoor playing quite quickly.

One of these places isn't a bronze age monument, but is a great place to sit and play some tunes.

An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Never in the car; mine has a manual gearbox so I have enough to do with my hands already. But if I'm on foot I usually carry my first Generation ever in a coat pocket or a day pack.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

I keep a Sweetone in my car--favorite holder is my dash heat vents, which warms it up in the winter months.

And I'll admit to playing when stopped in traffic, but agree that it's a bad idea--if rear-ended and my air bag deploys, I've got a whistle that might sever my spinal column. Yikes--gotta stop doing that.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Technowhistle, you certainly have a nice location for whistle playing. When outdoors, I play in the forest; Virginia is heavily wooded for the most part, at least where I live.
Now about cars.... I occasionally play in parking lots while in my car if I have a little time, but the windows must be open because the volume gets too loud. Generally, I don't enjoy it. Playing at red lights? Not my thing.