Where are your ‘car whistles’

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tunborough
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Where are your ‘car whistles’

Post by Tunborough »

And realistically, how much of a tune can you get through in 30 to 45 seconds before the light changes?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Polara Pat wrote:Wow, this thread took a hairpin since I checked it yesterday. ...[snip]... That being said, I find lots of non-driving while sitting in a car by myself time. I'd rather whistle than look at boring crap on social media while I wait.
Here's another hairpin turn to consider: Why does one have to distract oneself, at all? Just a thought...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Nanohedron wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:Wow, this thread took a hairpin since I checked it yesterday. ...[snip]... That being said, I find lots of non-driving while sitting in a car by myself time. I'd rather whistle than look at boring crap on social media while I wait.
Here's another hairpin turn to consider: Why does one have to distract oneself, at all? Just a thought...

I’m not distracting myself. I’m looking to find a way to turn dead time into something productive.
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

A fella (who shall remain nameless) was pulled over for being on the mobile phone. Guard (policeman) went to town on him.

"But I wasn't on the mobile phone", says our friend. "You f3kn were, I saw you" said the Guard. So our hero confessed to the true crime - he'd been playing the mouth organ. As this wasn't specifically covered under legislation the Guard let him off with a caution.

Now when our hero told me this story, I was of course amused but aghast. He tried to explain that playing the whistle while driving was dangerous because he had short legs (for steering with his knees) and the whistle required two hands whereas he only needed one hand for the mouth organ.

While I was impressed with the logic of what he was saying, I was still not happy that safety was being taken into consideration. So I recommended he got himself one of those harmonica harness things that the lads who are in one-man-bands use so that he could keep both his hands on the wheel. 'nuff said.
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

I keep a spare whistle and "emergency" flute (carbon fibre) in the car. You never know when you might find yourself in need of an instrument. And if I'm parked waiting for my SO to return from shopping, time otherwise wasted can be spent practising a few tunes. Better than any social media/smartphone distractions. You do get "looks" from time to time.

I thought I was unique in the "car whistle" habit. Great to find that this is normal and expected behaviour.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Tunborough wrote:And realistically, how much of a tune can you get through in 30 to 45 seconds before the light changes?
There are some lights around my house that are 2 minutes or longer.

But generally, not much. I'll agree to disagree on how dangerous it is it sit completely stopped, and play the whistle. Dale, on the other hand, has been a firm advocate of the "no car whistle" rule from the beginning. This topic has come up a few times ;)

In the 23 years or so that I've been doing it, I've never been the cause of an accident. In the accident I note above, the guy who hit me from behind was looking down at his phone.

I've certainly been the cause of clapping, flirting, cat-calling, teasing, and derision. And in Houston, I once had a local hip-hop artist follow me from the stop light to the grocery store in order to ask me if I'd be willing to experiment riffing over his music. I wasn't, but that's because I wasn't (and still am not) comfortable enough to just 'jam' with no known tune to go on.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

... meanwhile, here in the UK, there have been several instances of people being fined, or even receiving a criminal conviction, for eating while stationary in traffic. For instance, in 2015, a woman was given and on the spot £100 fine for eating a banana while she was stuck in a traffic jam.

She subsequently appealed it, and the fined was raised to £145, and she also received a criminal record and three points on her licence. Quite right, too.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Burke composite high D in the passenger seat pocket.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

benhall.1 wrote:... meanwhile, here in the UK, there have been several instances of people being fined, or even receiving a criminal conviction, for eating while stationary in traffic. For instance, in 2015, a woman was given and on the spot £100 fine for eating a banana while she was stuck in a traffic jam.

She subsequently appealed it, and the fined was raised to £145, and she also received a criminal record and three points on her licence. Quite right, too.
Far as I know, the only state here that goes that far is Washington state. Though eating and drinking on the subway used to be a fine-able offense in Washington DC, Metro Transit Police Chief Ron Pavlik suspended enforcement of those rules May 8 of this year. And it sounds like I could play the tinwhistle there, too :D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... b89f524af6
Though the union acknowledged it is against Metro rules to eat on a train or in a station, Hobson’s statement also referenced an email from Metro Transit Police Chief Ron Pavlik sent May 8, ordering officers to “cease and desist from issuing criminal citations in the District of Columbia for fare evasion; eating; drinking; spitting, and playing musical instruments without headphones until further advised.”
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

PB+J wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

I’m not distracting myself. I’m looking to find a way to turn dead time into something productive.

Exactly my thoughts.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

benhall.1 wrote:... eating a banana while she was stuck in a traffic jam. She subsequently apeeled it.
Oh, come on... :really:

Best wishes.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Bliven on Mon May 27, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Edited just now because snark is too easy and not good for you
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Polara Pat wrote:
PB+J wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Here's another hairpin turn to consider: Why does one have to distract oneself, at all? Just a thought...
Exactly my thoughts.
While I understand the reasoning, I don't embrace it on a number of points, the first being that I have a dispute with the utilitarian contention that waiting for a light to change is necessarily "dead time", and further, I suggest that "dead time" itself is an artificial, and therefore false, concept. But this is in the end a matter of philosophy, and we could go down the rabbit hole over that.

But if we stick to strictly utilitarian concerns, no matter what side-activity one undertakes at the stoplight to "fill one's time", it is axiomatic that it cannot be done fully or well, for one's attentions are necessarily divided. So I think "productive" is a term that one should reconsider. I still think words like "distraction" or "diversion" better fit the case.

It seems to me that these days there is a big cultural recoil from facing quiet moments. On my TV's channel guide there is lately a recurring selection for music subscriptions that begins with the proclamation, "Silence is boring." Boring? First of all, so long as the hearing live there is no such thing as silence; the world around you, and you yourself, are always making noise. The sufficiency of that depends on you, I guess. Rather than boring, I find such moments profound, myself, and for me, profundity is never "dead time".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Nanohedron wrote: While I understand the reasoning, I don't embrace it on a number of points, the first being that I have a dispute with the utilitarian contention that waiting for a light to change is necessarily "dead time", and further, I suggest that "dead time" itself is an artificial, and therefore false, concept. But this is in the end a matter of philosophy, and we could go down the rabbit hole over that.

But if we stick to strictly utilitarian concerns, no matter what side-activity one undertakes at the stoplight to "fill one's time", it is axiomatic that it cannot be done fully or well, for one's attentions are necessarily divided. So I think "productive" is a term that one should reconsider. I still think words like "distraction" or "diversion" better fit the case.

It seems to me that these days there is a big cultural recoil from facing quiet moments. On my TV's channel guide there is lately a recurring selection for music subscriptions that begins with the proclamation, "Silence is boring." Boring? First of all, so long as the hearing live there is no such thing as silence; the world around you, and you yourself, are always making noise. The sufficiency of that depends on you, I guess. Rather than boring, I find such moments profound, myself, and for me, profundity is never "dead time".

You're talking to a guy who spends hours and hours in archives contemplating old documents, for a living. You're not talking to a kid playing twitchy video games. I'll go head to head in terms of silent contemplation with anybody! :pint:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:You're talking to a guy who spends hours and hours in archives contemplating old documents, for a living. You're not talking to a kid playing twitchy video games. I'll go head to head in terms of silent contemplation with anybody! :pint:
No doubt, but how is it then that the car changes everything?

Anyway, I still maintain that if you're going to whistle in the car, it's best if you're parked, or a passenger. Otherwise you can only be at half-measures all around. :)