Where are your ‘car whistles’

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Re: Where are your ‘car whistles’

Post by Polara Pat »

benhall.1 wrote:I must admit, I'm always horrified when people admit to playing whistles at red traffic lights. This is dangerous, and would definitely be illegal in the UK. Is it not illegal in the US? If not, it should be.

I don't have whistles in the car. It's not the place for them.
Never at lights but stopping at the grocery store and hammering out a few reels isn't such a bad thing. I take it where I can get it.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Polara Pat wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I must admit, I'm always horrified when people admit to playing whistles at red traffic lights. This is dangerous, and would definitely be illegal in the UK. Is it not illegal in the US? If not, it should be.

Never at lights but stopping at the grocery store and hammering out a few reels isn't such a bad thing. I take it where I can get it.
Do you play at the check out line? :party:
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

It's hard for me to see the danger of playing a whistle at a traffic light. What danger do you perceive?
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

PB+J wrote:It's hard for me to see the danger of playing a whistle at a traffic light. What danger do you perceive?
If someone rear-ends you and the airbag goes off, your whistle may end up somewhere unpleasant.
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

If someone rear-ends you and the airbag goes off, your whistle may end up somewhere unpleasant.
Lets not beat around the bush, It would probably end up sticking out of the back of your head! You wouldn't be practicing much after that!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

PB+J wrote:It's hard for me to see the danger of playing a whistle at a traffic light. What danger do you perceive?
Much the same as using as a hand-held mobile phone, which is certainly illegal in the UK. I'd personally be horrified to see a driver playing at the lights!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Never while driving or stopped at traffic light. Agreed for parking lots or beaches. The car whistles are for waiting periods while picking someone up at train station or airport or some such opportunity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Polara Pat wrote:

Tyler DelGregg wrote:
DaveAuty wrote:
Lets not beat around the bush, It would probably end up sticking out of the back of your head! You wouldn't be practicing much after that!
I agree with the cautionary voices. If you're behind the wheel, DO NOT play the whistle at stop lights. Whatever the potential hazards to yourself, more importantly it compromises driver awareness and accordingly constitutes a potential hazard to others.

I am never impressed when people talk about their multitasking skills. Necessity requiring it is one thing, but as an optional pursuit it is quite another. My observation is that the result is consistently substandard compared to when your full attention is engaged; thus, when whistling behind the wheel, both tasks suffer in quality. What, then, is the point? Mere boredom? I think we should consider higher purposes than that.

Likewise with mobile devices. If you can't ignore them, pull over.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Meh. I play at long stop lights. But whistle or no, I do keep an eye on the rearview mirror for situational awareness. For what it's worth, I *have* been rear-ended at a stop-light, but the whistle was out of my mouth and my hand was laying on the horn long before impact.

I have a Dixon DX-Trad in the pocket behind the passenger's seat--I'll use it at red lights (as noted above), and I bring it with me anywhere I might have a long wait (grocery stores, barber shops, waiting rooms, etc). In public settings, I generally play it very quietly unless someone expresses an interest in hearing it.

I keep a Dixon DX005 in my laptop bag, so it's available any time I might travel for work and don't want to bring any more expensive whistles along.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Wanderer wrote:Meh. I play at long stop lights. But whistle or no, I do keep an eye on the rearview mirror for situational awareness. For what it's worth, I *have* been rear-ended at a stop-light, but the whistle was out of my mouth and my hand was laying on the horn long before impact.
The other driver was probably trying to clear the spit from his own whistle just before the tragic incident.

I really don't get doing anything other than paying attention to driving while driving. And yes, being stopped at traffic light counts as driving. You might have yourself convinced that you're situationally aware, but I can guarantee you are not. This is distracted driving, pure and simple, and in the US is the cause of about 20% of all motor vehicle accidents.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

whistlecollector wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Meh. I play at long stop lights. But whistle or no, I do keep an eye on the rearview mirror for situational awareness. For what it's worth, I *have* been rear-ended at a stop-light, but the whistle was out of my mouth and my hand was laying on the horn long before impact.
The other driver was probably trying to clear the spit from his own whistle just before the tragic incident.

I really don't get doing anything other than paying attention to driving while driving. And yes, being stopped at traffic light counts as driving. You might have yourself convinced that you're situationally aware, but I can guarantee you are not. This is distracted driving, pure and simple, and in the US is the cause of about 20% of all motor vehicle accidents.
That's basically where I'm coming from.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Nanohedron wrote: I am never impressed when people talk about their multitasking skills. Necessity requiring it is one thing, but as an optional pursuit it is quite another. My observation is that the result is consistently substandard compared to when your full attention is engaged;
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Wanderer wrote:Meh. I play at long stop lights. But whistle or no, I do keep an eye on the rearview mirror for situational awareness.
I am actively unimpressed.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Meh. I play at long stop lights. But whistle or no, I do keep an eye on the rearview mirror for situational awareness.
I am actively unimpressed.
This is one of those occasions - occasional occasions, admittedly - where I'd like a 'like' button. :)
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Wow, this thread took a hairpin since I checked it yesterday. Like most places in the world, it's illegal to operate hand held devices in Canada as well and the fine's keep climbing. This seems to have no affect on the amount of people I see driving with their phones. With the exception of Wanderer and maybe a couple others; I'm in the don't whistle and drive camp. That being said, I find lots of non-driving while sitting in a car by myself time. I'd rather whistle than look at boring crap on social media while I wait.