It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:11 am 

I was relieved when I read some one use the term ‘car whistle’ that I wasn’t the only one who has one stashed in my car for inspiration in the parking lot or stop lights. And I’ve NEVER driven with my knee... :D
:tomato:

Ok but seriously, where do you have random whistles stashed for easy access of playing? Outside of where to store them properly.

I have one in the car and one the pen cup in the kitchen. And I’ve been known to carry one in my purse on occasion.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:24 am 

Mostly, mine stay in the drawer (in my bedroom) where I keep them, but I have been known to have one or two laying around in the living room area.

I've thought about taking one on one of my walks, but I'm not good at remembering tunes! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:35 am 

I have a couple in the door pocket of my car. I usually have on in my laptop bag as well

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:00 am 

Couple Susatos in the car, rack of 6 in the kitchen, a few in the basement, and a D/C in the on the go bag.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:02 pm 

We have a few vehicles on the road at all times and they all have a whistle in them somewhere. My best stash spot is in our old Cherokee where my Sweetone sits perfectly on the dash on front of the speedometer. Always ready at a moments notice.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:53 pm 

Most are in a jug in the kitchen, or low whistles/longer ones in an antique wooden box in the living room.

One cheapie (Meg) on upstairs dresser.

One cheapie (Meg) in truck console.... thought I had a Walton there, was actually surprised this morning to see it was a Meg).

One in my desk drawer at work. In my old workspace, I could play a tune, this one is too public, so will probably repatriate that one home. Another Walton, thinking I will fit that tube to a Sindt head.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:34 pm 

Adrian W. wrote:
One cheapie (Meg) in truck console.... thought I had a Walton there, was actually surprised this morning to see it was a Meg).

Oo, someone was visited by the Whistle Fairy!

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:58 pm 

Uhm... One in the visor... One in the glove box... A Walkabout in my fanny pack... One on my desk at work... A Tipple low D flute in my back pack... And three or four whistles on the dining room table.

the truth is not lost. do not search for it.
accept it.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:37 pm 

Three of 'em on the dashboard. There's a little shelf there that is perfect.

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:38 pm 

One in mini-van. One in laptop bag. Rest in backpack (ready for heading to the session) or on desk.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:09 am 

Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
I must admit, I'm always horrified when people admit to playing whistles at red traffic lights. This is dangerous, and would definitely be illegal in the UK. Is it not illegal in the US? If not, it should be.

I don't have whistles in the car. It's not the place for them.

https://youtu.be/ezbWVysJAOY
https://tapm.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:04 am 

I agree with Benhall.1 Cars aren't the best whistle playing environment for all sorts of reasons.

That said, I don't drive so who I am to make too harsh a judgement... I have a walking whistle! My sessions are with a flock of Wheatears and a pair of Stone Chats.

One of my Freeman Blackbirds lives in my walking bag and get played regularly all alone (Sorry passers by!) while sheltering behind mountain top cairns, inside bronze age stone circles, and in ancient woodland of the Peak District not too far from my lovely little council flat where my cat tires of my indoor playing quite quickly.

One of these places isn't a bronze age monument, but is a great place to sit and play some tunes.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:23 am 

Never in the car; mine has a manual gearbox so I have enough to do with my hands already. But if I'm on foot I usually carry my first Generation ever in a coat pocket or a day pack.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:16 am 

I keep a Sweetone in my car--favorite holder is my dash heat vents, which warms it up in the winter months.

And I'll admit to playing when stopped in traffic, but agree that it's a bad idea--if rear-ended and my air bag deploys, I've got a whistle that might sever my spinal column. Yikes--gotta stop doing that.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:31 am 

Technowhistle, you certainly have a nice location for whistle playing. When outdoors, I play in the forest; Virginia is heavily wooded for the most part, at least where I live.
Now about cars.... I occasionally play in parking lots while in my car if I have a little time, but the windows must be open because the volume gets too loud. Generally, I don't enjoy it. Playing at red lights? Not my thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next