Whistles in the $80~$100 price range

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Skyclad01
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Whistles in the $80~$100 price range

Post by Skyclad01 »

I've been eying the Killarney D Nickel whistle hoping to find one used for about $50-$60, but nothing has turned up. Almost tempted to buy one new. But before I decide on doing that, I figured I better check all whistle options in that price range. I know theres the Cheiftan Mezzo D whistle. Which is a nice one, but I like the brighter sound of the Killarney. Anyone know of any other whistles in that price range that I could check on?
Mr.Gumby

Re: Whistles in the $80~$100 price range

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You may want to think through first the type of whistle that suits you best, taking into account what music you play, the style you're aiming for, playing characteristics of the instrument and make a decision based on that. The Killarney and the Chieftain are hardly interchangeable choices, except when any old whistle would do.
My brain hurts

Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

Thats why I am leaning more towards the Killarney so far
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I would check out Shearwater as well. My Shearwater collection goes from high D to alto A. They suit me well.
Skyclad01

Post by Skyclad01 »

Tyler DelGregg wrote:I would check out Shearwater as well. My Shearwater collection goes from high D to alto A. They suit me well.
The Shearwater whistle definitely looks and sounds nice. I cant decide which sounds better, the standard high D, or the wide bore D.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Unless you've got compelling reasons to choose wide bore, I'd go standard. With any maker. Even where you get the full high range with both, upwards cross-register slurs to, say, high G and above will be cleaner. No matter how skilled the maker, it's ultimately physics.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The Killarney, or a Jerry Freeman modified whistle, should be in your price range.

Of course for under $20 you can find a great-playing Generation, Feadog, Waltons, etc but it might require hunting through a number of whistles till you find a really good one.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

You can check out various whistle reviews on CutiePie website for whistles within your budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLu6rdd1gG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JTMLzf0qCA

It is always going to come down to you, the player, and how the whistle sounds as everyone has differing playing styles and purposes. CutiePie will soon review new Killarney whistles after more thorough playing time. Enjoy your whistling.

There also whistle reviews here:
http://tinwhistler.com/Reviews
Skyclad01

Post by Skyclad01 »

ytliek wrote:You can check out various whistle reviews on CutiePie website for whistles within your budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLu6rdd1gG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JTMLzf0qCA

It is always going to come down to you, the player, and how the whistle sounds as everyone has differing playing styles and purposes. CutiePie will soon review new Killarney whistles after more thorough playing time. Enjoy your whistling.

There also whistle reviews here:
http://tinwhistler.com/Reviews
I've seen her videos. All quite good. I have also had the Dixon Pro in mind, but I already have a Dixon Trad, and 2 Susato whistles. So far im really drawn to the Killarney (Nickel D) whistle. It has a very bright and chirp sound to it like a good generation or my Freeman Bluebird (both of which are great, but I kinda want to go a little higher end for my price range for my next whistle). And it sounds like it handles all octaves really well also.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I was a little reluctant to suggest the Dixon, but I have one in 'C', & really like it.
https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/produc ... o-whistle/
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Skyclad01 wrote:but I kinda want to go a little higher end for my price range for my next whistle). And it sounds like it handles all octaves really well also.
Nothing wrong with the Killarney whistles in nickel or brass, I have them all. Here's an earlier thread about Killarney whistles so see what people think.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96210&hilit=Killarn ... tle+review
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I second Richard's suggestion of Freeman whistles as well. My Freeman Bb is quite a remarkable whistle. I have all of Freeman whistle from high D to low G. I don't like going higher than the D on any whistle.
Skyclad01

Post by Skyclad01 »

ytliek wrote:
Skyclad01 wrote:but I kinda want to go a little higher end for my price range for my next whistle). And it sounds like it handles all octaves really well also.
Nothing wrong with the Killarney whistles in nickel or brass, I have them all. Here's an earlier thread about Killarney whistles so see what people think.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96210&hilit=Killarn ... tle+review
I have read that thread and others on it :) Nothing but high praises from everything ive read about the whistle.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Skyclad01 wrote:
Nothing but high praises from everything I've read about the (Killarney) whistle.
Myself and others here have expressed mixed experiences (like all whistles they vary somewhat) and there was a Killarney-hate thread sometime back!

A thread about fixing octave tuning on a Killarney

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108141

My thread about the considerable differences between my two Killarneys

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107792&p=1211038#p1211038
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Skyclad01

Post by Skyclad01 »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Skyclad01 wrote:
Nothing but high praises from everything I've read about the (Killarney) whistle.
Myself and others here have expressed mixed experiences (like all whistles they vary somewhat) and there was a Killarney-hate thread sometime back!

A thread about fixing octave tuning on a Killarney

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108141

My thread about the considerable differences between my two Killarneys

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107792&p=1211038#p1211038
Very interesting and informative. Thank you.