Impempe Information 5.16.19

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Impempe Information 5.16.19

Post by Byll »

A recent C&F thread concerning the maintenance of Impempe whistles made me realize that my busy life had caused me to lose track of my friend Ian Turnbull, the maker of Impempe whistles. Being the manager of my own band, enjoying a loving and busy family, being in the midst of a personal illness, and simply the stuff of life in general, had caused what is left of my mind to allow Ian and our shared love of South Africa to be shelved for too long.

Business took me to the Republic of South Africa in 1985. I developed a love for the culture and the people, and in my own way, fought apartheid with every fiber of my being, whenever I could. At the time, I had no connection with the world of whistles, and did not know that there was a guy out there with the same thoughts as I.

Whistles came into my world around 1990, I was in an experimental and collective mood, and I wrote Ian a note for Impempe information. That note is lost, but many, many emails back and forth followed. A friendship ensued, and as many of you already know, I learned that Ian is a complex, intelligent, and wonderfully talented individual. I treasure him and our long-distance friendship.

After reading the current Impempe thread, I thought about said thread – and Ian’s note - for a day, and wrote back, offering to inform the denizens of C&F concerning the current status of Impempe whistles, if Ian wished me to do so.

To wit… Quite a number of issues have resulted in Ian’s going off radar… Lack of time, finances, health, and family all have played into Ian’s decision to take a sabbatical from whistles and whistle making. He is also the manger of a 30 piece pipe band. I know from managing my own band, that being a manger has mental, physical, emotional – and even spiritual – components that take their toll. The need to down-size his property and shop is also part of the equation…

Overload… The enemy of all of us… Ian has shared, that when life becomes less crazy or financial needs become greater, he will get back into whistling and will try to find a better way of doing it, that will bring back his passion and love of whistles. For now, Ian is not making whistles. Requests for assistance should be addressed to:

impempe@gmail.com

Near the end of Ian’s email to me, was one sentence that kind of says it all: “I remain positive and hopeful for the future and even though times are tough at present, I know that as long as I have music, then there is love, and some peace and much joy.”

Well said, Sir.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Adrian W.

Re: Impempe Information 5.16.19

Post by Adrian W. »

Thanks Byll. Interesting story, and very good to know Ian is generally okay. I hope there are better days ahead for him. I'm playing my whistle a lot right now, and loving it.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia