It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:08 pm 

I received my aluminum Reyburn low D the other day. What a great whistle! It’s well in tune, is powerful and has a loud, solid low D note. The entire range of the whistle is excellent, but the low end really stands out for me. It’s an easy playing low whistle. Mine is voiced to slightly favor the low end (hope I got that right), and the high notes do require good support, nothing out of the ordinary. I love the tone. It’s powerful, rich and full, with a slight “hollowness.” It’s unique and beautiful, IMO. I also play an MK Pro low D, and they are very comparable. They sound quite different in a good way and will compliment each other nicely. It’s certainly one of the best low D’s out there. It’s an amazing whistle.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:09 am 

Yes I agree with everything you said!

Ronaldo has accomplished something I think would be very difficult, create a Low D with a unique distinctive tone. I call it the "Native American flute in the fog" sound. Yet, the tone has a fat meaty presence that works great in ensembles. It's wonderful.

(MK has created a unique tone too, very different from the Reyburn and from all other Low Ds.)

I've played quite a few different Reyburn Low Whistles and each has been perfectly in tune. I've played many makes of Low D and the best in-tune have been the Reyburn and the Goldie.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 am 

I’ve never played a Goldie. At some point I am going to get one of his low D’s. I’m a little unsure about how I would want it voiced. I’ve decided to concentrate on low D’s. I’m going to keep one good high D and maybe an F, otherwise all low D’s. I’m trying to get better at fiddle and that takes up a lot of my time, and then there’s the shakuhachi and Xiao I’m playing too.