Frankenflute

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lefty
antispam: No

Frankenflute

Post by lefty »

well we've seen the Frankenwhistle in all variations, now the flute/whistle cross, a Tony Dixon el cheapo non tuneable plastic flute model £30 and the Large holed Colin Goldie low D body I acquired a while back with no head, so I took the old Dixon that had a damaged ( crushed lower section ) cut the head joint with enough tube for it to slot into the Goldie tube, had to do some sanding/filing a little to get a bang on fit, the with a few tweaks on the length have managed to get a pretty decent canon of a flute, pipers grip is pretty much essential for both hands, because you lose the tips of your fingers in these giant holes, A/B/G/F/E/D low notes are very nice, a/b upper octave a tad flat, not noticeable whilst playing, but on the tuner show 5/10 cent flat depending on how I blow, although I have not done any experimenting on the playing from cold or tested tuning when warmed up, but you don't notice any tuning issue when played, well I don't, I also glued a silver coin onto the Dixon cork stopper and re-inserted at the correct position, I did this as the cork was looking a bit rough and uneven, now it has a solid flat face

Interesting things about the Dixon are.... it looks like a cylindrical tube, it's actually a conical tapered bore, it was a goodish flute before I nackered the end

Interesting thing about the Goldie Big hole..... as you look into the toneholes, you can see were Colin has skillfully undercut them with what must be a very
clever tool, as they are like round cuts at different position on the underside of the tone holes, this I'm guessing is the fine tuning, which you don't see on mass produced whistle, and why Colin is probably the best Whistle maker on the planet.

Anyway if this whistle hack that you see before you fills you with OMG, it amazes me to, that with little tweaking how two objects have come together to make something useable..

Image Image Image Image Image Image
fatmac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Frankenflute

Post by fatmac »

Nice hack, lefty, I like to see things like this that work, a knackered one joins an incomplete one to make a very usable instrument, well done. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I stuck a clarinet mouthpiece and barrel on a Susato mezzo F whistle... it works. :shock:
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

The tool that Colin used would be called a fraise. See here: http://hammy-flutemaker.blogspot.com/20 ... raise.html

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
lefty

Post by lefty »

Just goes to show it's not just a tube with 6 holes, although it is...., but tech and science play a big part, and off course the skill of the craftsman

lefty :D