It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post subject: Re: Tin penny whistle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:02 am 

Anyone who doesn’t think that the whistle is fully panchromatic clearly hasn’t heard John Coltrane play it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:25 pm 

It's sensitive to all visible light?

Why I teach... and where
Master of nine?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:05 pm 

Peter Duggan wrote:
It's sensitive to all visible light?

Well spotted! Thanks for shining a light on a multiple use of the word "chromatic". In the shade of the musical instrument world, we have long-established the naming of harmonicas that play all the established notes, as a "chromatic" instrument, VS the more whistle-like "diatonic" instruments in keys. I'm wondering if some weird kind of synesthesia was involved, or lack of a local dictionary in harmonica-maker homes, or photography inventors homes, but we're stuck with the streamlined logic of it. They missed their chance to clarify some things with better labels. Frequencies being the determining factor in both light colour and sound "note", there is a bit of logic of allowing "chromatic" to serve for both sound and light.

When the good folks at Pantone start designing ukulele's, or whistle makers design acrylic paints, we're in for a ruckus. They'd say, "this instrument is tuned to play Cerulean blue, cobalt orange, Spanish rose red and Lush Meadow green." In music though, it's still a deception; any instrument that is pre-set to play notes or has frets, isn't "chromatic" unless you alter the mechanics by bending a string or bend a note on a harmonica. So "chromatic" is relative, not absolute. It's very deceptive marketing. If words mean anything at all, Suzuki and Hohner "chromatic" harmonicas are not chromatic unless you the performer bend the notes regularly. They also aren't diatonic, because they have more notes than diatonics. A talented diatonic player can play just as many frequencies as a chromatic harmonica player, just not as easily. So those "chromatic" instruments are as yet not named properly, and buyers should be demanding 35% discounts.

"Haydn said that he was sure Mozart PhotoShopped half his andantes.".........Beethoven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:09 pm 

It gets even more complicated because the so-called "diatonic" harmonicas are not even completely diatonic. They are missing a few notes. The so-called Richter-tuning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_tuning
But there are also normal diatonic harmonicas without those missing notes. Completely threw me off when I tried to play one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:37 pm 

RoberTunes wrote:
I'm wondering if some weird kind of synesthesia was involved, or lack of a local dictionary in harmonica-maker homes

Harmonicas are only following established musical convention re. the chromatic scale.

Quote:
In music though, it's still a deception; any instrument that is pre-set to play notes or has frets, isn't "chromatic" unless you alter the mechanics by bending a string or bend a note on a harmonica.

It's not a deception at all; if you can play all 12 semitones, it's musically chromatic. Just not panchromatic!

Why I teach... and where
Master of nine?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:39 pm 
Moderatorer

Peter Duggan wrote:
Just not panchromatic!

That would be your slide whistle.

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:10 pm 

Or the humble noseflute:
https://youtu.be/kuCzbae7VWM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10