Reyburn Mezzo A -- opinions sought

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JackJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Reyburn Mezzo A -- opinions sought

Post by JackJ »

I've been saving up for a planned purchase of a Carbony mezzo A whistle, but just saw the recent glowing review of a Reyburn (their Low D), and then found quite a few other posts praising this maker.

I'd love to hear some thoughts/reviews from anyone whose played the Reyburn Mezzo A model, and especially anyone who can compare the brass to aluminum versions, and either to Carbony whistles.

The Reyburn website is very informative, and has lots of sound clips, but I didn't find one for this particular model.

Some specific questions:

*Brass vs. aluminum--is the difference just in the tone, and how much of a difference is there? From what I've read, and from the sound clips, Reyburns do seem to have a signature sound, and it appears that gets more distinctive the lower you go. Ronaldo seems to be especially keen on the aluminum, and I like to go with what the maker recommends. On the other hand, I just the love the way brass whistles look and feel.

*Just temperament. While equal temperament is an option, Ronaldo makes a strong case for the default "just temperament" tuning. I'm sold on the concept generally, but wonder if anyone has had issues when playing with concertinas, accordions, banjos, etc., all of which appear at my local session.

I'd love to purchase both a Carbony and Reyburn to do the comparison myself. Even though the combined price is still far less than what I've spent on many other instruments, it's still a stretch.
piperjoe

Re: Reyburn Mezzo A -- opinions sought

Post by piperjoe »

Hi,

I love the Reyburn low whistles. I am giving up most of my whistles due to hand issues and currently have a Reyburn low A/Bb set in brass for sale. Easy playing and, like all Reyburns they play in tune.

Little played, like new actually, two bodies (A/Bb) and one head, with soft pouch. Asking $225 shipped in the lower 48.

Piper Joe
Reyburnwhistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Jack, here is some information regarding the differences between my aluminum A and the brass version. The aluminum uses a larger bore so is louder than the brass and has a cooler tone. The brass plays sweeter and easier in the upper octave due to its narrower bore and has a brighter tone

I hope this helps in your decision making process.

Ronaldo
www.reyburnwhistles.com
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

Ronaldo, does this difference hold true throughout the range, and specifically for low D?
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

Ronaldo is having difficulty posting so he sent this reply to me by email.

Regarding the differences in the bore of the brass and aluminum the answer is no it does not hold true for all of the keys. Actually for the low D the aluminum version is very slightly narrower compared to the brass, and the same goes for the Hi D and C.

This is due to the fact that more sizes are available in brass compared to aluminum and I use a wall thickness twice as thick for the aluminum which allows for the way I make the tuning slide.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

bruce.b wrote:Ronaldo is having difficulty posting ...
Yes, he's got a recurring glitch to contend with, and we don't yet know what's causing it. We hope to have it resolved before too long.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician