whistle prominent in movie

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

whistle prominent in movie

Post by chas »

I dunno if this has been mentioned before, and it's impossible to search on the movie title for obvious reasons.

Last night I watched M, the remake from 1951. I thought I'd seen it before, but obviously not.

A whistle first appears about 40 minutes in. [I'd thought it was a Cooperman's but it was an All-American, I think identical and made by the same company.] It's in the movie off and on till the end and is central to the plot.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: whistle prominent in movie

Post by Tunborough »

eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I did a lot of whistle and pipes work for “Kill the Irishman”. It was on Netflix not long ago.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

chas wrote:I dunno if this has been mentioned before, and it's impossible to search on the movie title for obvious reasons.

Last night I watched M, the remake from 1951. I thought I'd seen it before, but obviously not.

A whistle first appears about 40 minutes in. [I'd thought it was a Cooperman's but it was an All-American, I think identical and made by the same company.] It's in the movie off and on till the end and is central to the plot.
Is he playing "In the Hall of the Mountain King"? I had no idea there was a remake of M.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

YouTube's got a couple of full-length-ish vids of the remake of M. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsBJAk5kv1A
colomon wrote:Is he playing "In the Hall of the Mountain King"?
No, and no. At 44:30 in the link above, the tune is dubbed and the actor is basically just moving his fingers at seemingly tentative random, in no relation to the actual tune; as for the tune itself, it doesn't resemble ItHotMK to me, apart from the creepy factor. You'd have to do a fair amount of half-holing to reproduce that tune on a standard whistle, and the actor's definitely not going to those lengths.

Maybe there's an actual tune under the dub, but it looks more like the actor is just winging it for the camera.
colomon wrote:I had no idea there was a remake of M.
Me neither.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

chas wrote:A whistle first appears about 40 minutes in. [I'd thought it was a Cooperman's but it was an All-American, I think identical and made by the same company.] It's in the movie off and on till the end and is central to the plot.
It looks short to me (at 32:12). If it's an All American Fife (yeah, it's not a fife!), there should be a set of three stripes down towards the foot as well as a set of stripes above the finger holes.

At 32:26 I can only see the upper set of stripes. Notice also when he starts to finger the instrument, his left hand is right up near the window. There are no finger holes up that high on a whistle.

I concur: he's obviously "faking" the finger motions while someone in the orchestra is playing the music. But also, the instrument itself seems modified if it is in fact an All American.

I don't think Cooperman made whistles of the All American / Schoha / etc. pattern. Many of those predate Cooperman's late 1950s start.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

colomon wrote:
chas wrote:I dunno if this has been mentioned before, and it's impossible to search on the movie title for obvious reasons.

Is he playing "In the Hall of the Mountain King"? I had no idea there was a remake of M.
I found it's a 1931 German film. Sounds pretty creepy, both the film itself and the society it was made within and made to protest against.

Roger Ebert's review of the 1931 film says it's a tune from Peer Gynt.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

whistlecollector wrote:Roger Ebert's review of the 1931 film says it's a tune from Peer Gynt.
Right. In the 1931 film, Peter Lorre is indeed whistling In the Hall of the Mountain King (by mouth, not instrument; and since Lorre couldn't whistle well, the actual whistling was by Fritz Lang himself and dubbed). However, in the 1951 remake the actor David Wayne is instead portrayed playing a whistle, and the tune is not ItHotMK, although it draws from a roughly similar set of notes. Lorre's tune is whistled in a fairly sprightly way, but the 1951 remake's tune, "played" on a whistle, is quite different and slow. I'm not intimately familiar with Grieg's body of work, so if the 1951 tune is by Grieg as well, I'll have to leave that to those who know, but my guess is that it was instead by Michel Michelet, the remake's composer.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician