"Jim Tweedie's Sea Legs"- whistle & concertina

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

"Jim Tweedie's Sea Legs"- whistle & concertina

Post by kenny »

Here's a good one. I'm sure many of you here will know John Skelton and his music. John was a member of a great London-Irish band in the early 1980s, "Shegui". They recorded a very unusual Scottish Highland bagpipe hornpipe called "Jim Tweedie's Sea Legs". This is a great whistle/concertina duet between John and Willie Haines, concertina player originally from Dundee. They are joined by Jimmy Finnegan, on bagpipes, who was the source of the tune for them. If you want to play along, you need an Eb whistle.

https://youtu.be/dRPybqRg6hg
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: "Jim Tweedie's Sea Legs"- whistle & concertina

Post by ytliek »

Thanks for posting, that is a good one.
OBrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

It’s on The Session, if anyone wants the dots.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

In the Highland piping world it's still heard fairly often.

Here's a great rendition by Gordon Duncan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfGx5L88O4Q

(BTW the jig he goes into afterwards is in the G Lydian mode which has always been popular on the pipes.)

It was extremely popular back in the 1970s.

Seems that the 1960s and 1970s were sort of a Golden Age for hornpipes in the Highland piping world, with loads of them being composed and pipers and pipe bands playing them all the time.

The Highland pipe hornpipes of that era were actual hornpipes, and usually in D Major. (Not to be confused with the so-called hornpipes that became hugely popular in the 1990s and 2000s which don't have the hornpipe rhythm, but are played with even note values, and are usually in a Pentatonic A mode.)

Of the tune's origin, Tracey Williams wrote:

"Jim Tweedie’s Sealegs. This tune in 5 parts was composed by John Allan Macgee in commemoration of Jim’s first trip from New Zealand to the UK – an epic 6-week journey in the 1950s which involved the crossing of 5 seas or oceans. Each of the parts also tells a section of the story of the gaining of Jim’s sealegs – from jauntily leaving the harbour to entering the high seas, to 'feeding the fish' and gradually onwards towards gaining his sealegs. A mighty tune for a great friend and a true gentleman."

John Wilson composed a 6th part.

I am told that the Jim Tweedie of the title is not Jim Tweedie the bagpipe maker, who passed away a number of years ago.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

What a great, catchy tune. Bring back the hornpipes!!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Now if you want a Scottish hornpipe that's not often heard, and another 5-part one to boot, give a listen to Rathven Market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy5xoooNKPw

on the 1979 album by the Scottish group Kentigern, on Scottish smallpipes, whistle, and fiddle.

The ABC and the dots https://thesession.org/tunes/17859
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PeterHansen
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer just interested in posting something about an old friend Jim Tweedie who this thread is about

Post by PeterHansen »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

I was fortunate enough to know Jim Tweedie and as a child he would always call me on my birthday and play me "Happy Birthday" on the bagpipes.

I also attended his funeral in 2001 where "Jim Tweedie's Sealegs" was played.

I don't know much about piping but the church was overflowing with mourners that day and there was not a dry eye to be seen as the coffin was piped out of the church. A great man who is sorely missed.

https://knowledgebank.org.nz/text/newsp ... -stalwart/
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Thanks to contributors above for further information about the tune and Jim Tweedie himself. I remembered that I had posted a clip on Youtube of Dougie Pincock of the Battlefield Band playing it on a Scottish TV folk music programme [ second tune ] :
https://youtu.be/To6beuyeT9E
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"