Sally Gardens (Reel)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Skyclad01
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Sally Gardens (Reel)

Post by Skyclad01 »

Does anyone have, or know where I can find tabs for the Sally Gardens (reel)? I can only find tabs for Down By The Sally Gardens (Air), which I already have, and is not the one im trying to find.
Tommy

Re: Sally Gardens (Reel)

Post by Tommy »

''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1rUGU6m_M8 which I believe is the top one from that 'the session' link
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

One of my favourite reels! Good choice to learn.

I know you asked for tab, but I would recommend that you learn ABC notation because thousands of trad Irish tunes are available online in it. ABC seems to be standard in the ITM world.

Personally I very much prefer standard staff notation. But I realise that I'm in the minority.
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I would recommend that you learn ABC notation because thousands if trad Irish tunes are available online in it. ABC seems to be standard in the ITM world.
Am I mistaken to think the ABC of the internet is only an easy, compact and portable way of writing (code to translate into) staff notation? I don't think it was ever meant to be read.

The ABC shorthand used in Ireland is really a different, and older, format, even if the two have become a bit intertwined at this point. But the internet one, everybody just converts that to staff, don't they?
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Am I mistaken to think the ABC of the internet is only an easy, compact and portable way of writing (code to translate into) staff notation? I don't think it was ever meant to be read.
Not mistaken in the first part. Back in the dial-up internet days, ABCs were invented to save time on connections and space on those computers with very small brains.

However, some folks, put off by dots, have begun reading directly from the "code". To my eye the "code" is more confusing to read directly from than the dots or the "Irish ABCs".

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

To my eye the "code" is more confusing to read directly from than the dots or the "Irish ABCs".
Exactly. That's why they invented 'Easy ABC' etc.

It really has become a matter that I 'can' sort of read from the code but don't see the need because it's easier to use it the way it was intended to.
My brain hurts

ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

It ought to be mentioned here that the instigator of ABC notation (Chris Walshaw) started its development from his use of letters-for-notes as an aide memoir for tunes.

He specifically states on the "about" page on abcnotation.com :
Why: One of the most important aims of abc notation, and one that distinguishes it from most computer-based musical languages is that it is very concise and can be read easily by humans. In other words, with a little practice, it is possible to play a tune directly from the abc notation without having to process and print it out.
The aim for abc was simplicity in notating folk tunes (the ones that Chris Walshaw was playing) in a text format, and, as stated, it was always meant to be in an easily human readable form.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Mr.Gumby wrote: But the internet one, everybody just converts that to staff, don't they?
That's what I do, for anything more than a few bars anyway.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I struggled to re-learn reading staff notation from childhood then spent too much time learning to read ABC notation, but, what the ABC notation allowed me to do was print out the tunes with a fingering tab that I immediately could follow. The fingering tabs have limitations as far as rhythm and tempo, yet, once the fingering was learned and a lot of listening to tunes I could play. Then playing with better whistlers tunes were refined. I learned visually watching fingers and reading tabs which might not work for everyone and I may have taken the long way but I did it my way. I'm now learning to transcribe tunes using the blank fingering tab diagram.

See a sample here:
viewtopic.php?p=1214661#p1214661
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

It's a funny thing, but I can't make my brain understand tab at all. I can sight-read from sheet music or from ABC notation, but tab? Not a hope. I don't even seem to be able to work it out at all. It's probably just the way I'm wired ...
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

benhall.1 wrote:It's a funny thing, but I can't make my brain understand tab at all. I can sight-read from sheet music or from ABC notation, but tab? Not a hope. I don't even seem to be able to work it out at all. It's probably just the way I'm wired ...
Some people have an ear some folk don't and I certainly don't. Here is an example of how the ABC software allows the printable fingering tab to show.

The fingering tab merely shows which hole(s) are to be covered. Half-holing is a bit tricky. I can look at the particular finger tab and look up to the staff notation for the relation which is how I re-learned to read staff notation while the letter note is shown in the ABC. The blank fingering sheet above is for transcribing from audio onto the paper the note(s) which takes a bit of effort as one would work it out with help from a slow downer app while trying to match sound on the whistle note for note. I hope that's a good example.

When I first began following the Chiff I was soaking up every tidbit of help in playing whistle, reading staff notation, and learning tunes. One of my earliest and most helpful experiences occurred when MTGuru transcribed a tune called 'Leaving Stage Harbor'. At first, MTGuru did a quick simple transcription and then followed later with a more complex ABC transcription. I visually learned quite a bit about ABCs from that one thread.
viewtopic.php?p=1085651#p1085651

Another tune MTGuru transcribed into ABC and one of my all-time favorites is Erin's Shore. I can't find it now searching Chiff.

I love these two tunes MTGuru transcribed, others as well.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

ytliek wrote:Some people have an ear some folk don't and I certainly don't.
Whoever put D dorian as the key for that transcription (not you, I know) doesn't!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Whoever put D dorian as the key for that transcription (not you, I know) doesn't!
That's half the struggle using The Session site with so many versions and mistakes later identified/corrected in the comments section, very confusing to the uninformed folk. My example is from X: 4 on The Session and I always reference my source(s) in the ABCs with citation and try to provide a proper YouTube or CD source as well. I'm not sure if possibly the ABC software itself when designating the whistle tab key effects the key.
https://thesession.org/tunes/706

I'm just a copy and paste kind of guy. :)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
I didn't even look. But this has long been a bugbear of mine - the unthinking assignment of a mode based on final note, and nothing else.