It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:22 am 

Peter Duggan wrote:
Tunborough wrote:
Note that the shape of the curve gives a different result than simply aiming for a constant length/bore ratio.

How close is it to a constant length/cross-sectional area ratio?

[Edit: answered my own question. From a quick comparison of a few octave pairs, probably spot on.]
Actually, it's between the two. On that curve, fD^1.2 is a constant; equivalently, L/D^1.2 is a (different) constant. A constant length/bore curve would have L/D constant; a constant length/area curve would have L/D^2 constant. (I'm using ^ for "to the power of.")

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:18 am 

pancelticpiper wrote:
If by "high D" you mean 3rd octave D, how that note sounds is of little interest to me, due to me using whistles for traditional Irish music.
Yes, we're looking at both ends of a full two-octave range.

pancelticpiper wrote:
Now I wonder about another phrase you use, "the ability to produce a note", which to me is not denoting timbre or volume but rather ease of attack/responsiveness/lightness/nimbleness.
Q factor doesn't tell us much about these attributes. Low Q is like putting cotton batting in a note.

There are ways to compensate for an extreme bore. The one I know is the length of the window, from windway exit to splitting edge. If the bore is too narrow, a longer window will make it easier to play the bottom note without it breaking into the next register. Take this too far, however, and the whole whistle sounds feeble, especially at the bottom of the range. If the bore is too wide, a shorter window will make the top notes less stiff. This is one of the things Jerry Freeman will do when tweaking a whistle, adding an insert to shorten the window. I don't know what happens if you go too far in this direction, with a huge bore and a short window; I imagine the whistle again sounds feeble.

I've never had the pleasure of playing a Burke or a Bracker, but it sounds like they've taken different approaches to the bore/voicing compromise.