Memorial Service Tunes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Memorial Service Tunes?

Post by Bretton »

Hi All!

I've been asked to play whistle with a guitar player for a memorial service. It's not for someone I know. The guitarist is a Music Therapist that works at a Hospice, and a mutual friend mentioned my whistle playing to her and asked if I'd be willing to play.

I think we'll only play a few tunes, and I've thought of a couple of possibilities (Hector the Hero and Da Slockit Light), but would love some more suggestions.

I've found some others, but they either go too low or too high, or are in keys with bunches of flats.

Thanks.

--Brett
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Re: Memorial Service Tunes?

Post by Polara Pat »

Funny, I've had "The Parting Glass" in my head for the past few days. Not sure if it's appropriate for your memorial service but I'd play it.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

A couple of Carolan tunes come to mind, like Blind Mary or Morgan Magan.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I would suggest Cuimhne An Phíobaire (Keen for a Piper). Written for his father, John Potts, by Seán Potts. Listed here on the Session https://thesession.org/tunes/14916. Transcription by our own An Draighean. You can hear it here on pipes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKbhbBj4IL0
Listen to Potts himself playing it on the whistle here: https://www.itma.ie/digital-library/sou ... aire-potts
The title is also rendered 'The Piper Remembered'.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Ashokan Farewell is always popular. Play it in G and you'll be able to fit it all in without folding. Ar Éireann Ní Neosainn Cé HÍ is a nice mournful air, as is Caoineadh na dTrí Mhuire.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Taimse im'choladh is pretty standard at funerals and A Stor mo Chroi seems to be used as well. I played A Stor mo Choi at the graveside of Kitty Hayes, she had played it for her son and Junior Crehan had played it for her husband so that seemed appropriate enough.

But anything you feel appropriate or connected to the life of the deceased will be a good choice.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

As a Highland piper who also plays uilleann pipes and whistles, I've played at hundreds of funerals over the last 40 years.

If I'm playing uilleann pipes I'll just play a selection of Irish airs. Being that I'm in the USA means that at many "Irish" funerals my audience will usually mostly consist of Americans of Irish ancestry, with a smattering of Irish-raised people.

The tunes I choose reflects this hybrid audience. The songs most Americans of Irish ancestry think of as "Irish" were actually written in New York in the early 20th century, or they come from the 1960s "folk music revival". I'll play some of those tunes interspersed with sean nos airs and perhaps some Carolan.

Much too depends on the venue and the denomination.

There are denominations that require that only Sacred music be played within the church. There are denominations that only allow tunes which occur in that denomination's Hymnal. Hence my collection of Hymnals.

For the Catholic Mass, the Mass itself contains Service Music, though there are points when non-Service Music might be played. Still this should be Sacred music. I generally play pre-service music which need not be Sacred.

In any case at funerals some, most, or all of the music I play might be Hymns.
Bretton wrote:
I've found some others, but they either go too low or too high, or are in keys with bunches of flats.

About the keys and ranges you happen to find tunes in, you'll need to transpose the tunes to fit the whistle.

Pretty much any tune will fit into the standard range of the whistle, if you put the tune into the right key.

What key you actually produce a tune in depends also on what whistle you happen to use. A guitarist should have a capo so your man should be able to accompany you regardless.

To take one tune as an example, BUNESSAN, most commonly used for the Hymn Be Thou My Vision, yes it almost always occurs in Hymnals in three flats, in the key of E flat Major.

On a D whistle it fits best played in the key of G Major.

To produce the tune in the written key of E flat Major you merely need to play it on a B flat whistle. (That's by far the most use my B flat whistle gets! I have to play that tune at every church gig, seems like, and they always sing it in E flat Major.)

So it doesn't matter at all what key you hear a tune in, or find the sheet music to a tune in. You transpose it to fit under the fingers, and then if it's required in a specific key you use the required whistle.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

For the Catholic Mass, the Mass itself contains Service Music, though there are points when non-Service Music might be played. Still this should be Sacred music.

It really depends on the priest. Any old music will do if the priest is OK with it. I can't think of a funeral of any musician I have attended where no dance music was played. At Marty Malley's funeral Jackie Daly played reels and a half set was danced in front of the altar. If it's in the spirit of the deceased, it's appropriate.
My brain hurts

rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

To take one tune as an example, BUNESSAN, most commonly used for the Hymn Be Thou My Vision, yes it almost always occurs in Hymnals in three flats, in the key of E flat Major.
Don't know that I've ever heard Be Thou My Vision to 'Morning Has Broken'. SLANE is the tune name I think most would be familiar with, wouldn't it?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Thanks everyone for the responses! I will follow up on these.

-Brett