Missing OAIM lesson? Doon Reel?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brus
antispam: No

Missing OAIM lesson? Doon Reel?

Post by Brus »

In the OAIM Whistle Basics course, Kirsten Allstaff refers to the last lesson as the 18th, although it's the 17th. She mentions "18 lessons" at other times.

In the next-to-last lesson, she says in the introduction that the Connacht Heifers goes well in a set with the Doon Reel and that she'll play them as a set in the Whole Tune Practice part of the lesson (implying that the Doon Reel has already been learned). But the Whole Tune Practice appears to cut off very suddenly (before starting the Doon Reel?).

So, was there a lesson on the Doon Reel which has been deleted? Why? From what I can find, it's a trad tune, so it's not a copyright problem.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
John Driscoll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish flute and whistles since January 2016. It's been a great departure from percussion, which has been my primary form of musicianship since I was a boy.

Re: Missing OAIM lesson? Doon Reel?

Post by John Driscoll »

I've had good experiences emailing them: admin@oaim.ie
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Grey Larson has a nice clear whistle version of it in his 300 Gems of Irish Music CD set. The multiple CD set is reasonably priced and I would highly recommend it for anyone into Irish Traditional whistle. Check out his website. I bet when they decided to cut that lesson they didn't notice it had been mentioned.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

One problem that arises, when you look up the Doon Reel on The Session dot Org, is that there are two different reels called The Doon. As a Beginner, do you really need to step into this at a session?
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

that there are two different reels called The Doon
There is a whole rake of Doon reels. Padraig O'Keeffe got a lot of music from his uncle, Cal O'Callaghan. Most of it nameless, O'Keeffe named the tunes after O'Callaghan or the place he lived in : Doon. I think I heard mention of seven Doon reels.

In this context I would guess DFAF BFAF DFAF E3 is the one they were aiming for but even of that one I have two quite distinct versions (one from Mick O'Connor and the Castle Ceili band : D2 FA BdAF DFAF GE E2)
My brain hurts

busterbill

Post by busterbill »

an seanduine wrote:As a Beginner, do you really need to step into this at a session?
Bob
Ah, another session rite of passage: The opportunity to tell a story in a tune name... I remember as a relative newcomer being handed the honor in our session. We regularly played the jig we then called "Mist on the Meadow, also called the Moving Bog of Powellsboro by Kevin Henry, not to be mistaken for Mist on the Mountain, which is a different tune entirely." That simple statement delivered with a smile was educational for me as well as the persons who asked the question. It gave us both the sense that names matter, it is sometimes complicated, and it is fun to learn the back story. Over the 20+ years that tune has been played at that session the name has been simplified to Castlebar Races. Only on great occasion have I ever heard, "We call it Castlebar Races, but we used to call it..." :)

I'd find out which Doon Reel the Oaim folks forgot to record, learn it if I liked it, and when asked "What's the name of that one?"-- there's the opportunity to tell a story of the resource that is C&F, the responsiveness of Oaim, that there is a whole rake of Doon reels and of Padraig O'Keeffe's role in naming them. Condense it into a sentence or two delivered with a smile, and people may appreciate that you are serious enough to do some digging, and perhaps be encouraged to remember the name of that favorite tune they've been playing for years without knowing what to call it.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

:) :) :) Busterbill, yes, I do love the lore. . .but beginners generally have their hands full at first. Many years ago, starting out, I was a pest to a fiddler named Jan who seemed to know any number of tunes at our local sessions. Everytime I asked the name of some lovely melody, I would be met with a blank stare and a shrug. She was a total tunehead and knew the music but not the names. . .I soon had a large collection of tunes, and later recordings of a large number of tunes by the name 'effedino'! The joys of starting out without TunePal :D :D :D .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

We regularly played the jig we then called "Mist on the Meadow, also called the Moving Bog of Powellsboro by Kevin Henry, not to be mistaken for Mist on the Mountain, which is a different tune entirely."
That a nice bit of confusion. I originally took up the first one as 'Mist on the meadow' when I got it from Jackie Daly, who had that name for it. We played it for the sets for years. Eventually I recorded it with a friend under that title. Then Bríd O Donohue recorded it, we played it at her house a few times, and she had Nicky McAuliffe check the names for her CD. He came up, correctly ofcourse, with 'The Maid of Castlebar' (which is the more common name for the Moving Bog of Powellsboro) . I then looked into it a bit further, embarrassed to get it wrong on a recording, and realised John McKenna recorded the two (Maid of Castlebar/Mist on the Meadow) on a 78rpm and that Jackie had accidentally switched the names. So there. Glad to hear it's a not uncommon mistake to make.

I already have two reels that go by 'The Moving Bog' (although one has a good alternative name in 'Miss Wallace') so I'll keep away from that one.
My brain hurts

Brus

Post by Brus »

busterbill wrote: I'd find out which Doon Reel the Oaim folks forgot to record, learn it if I liked it, and when asked "What's the name of that one?"-- there's the opportunity to tell a story of the resource that is C&F, the responsiveness of Oaim, that there is a whole rake of Doon reels and of Padraig O'Keeffe's role in naming them.
I posted this early in the year, then forgot about until last week, when I finally emailed OAIM and asked - sure enough, they had audio problems and lost a lesson (not sure why they didn't re-record it ...).

Anyway, Kirsten Allstaff mentions in her lesson on the Connacht Heifers that it begins with "a F-roll, just like the Doon Reel" so I presume the setting intended was this one:

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=sessi ... /5574/2919
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Brus wrote:
busterbill wrote: I'd find out which Doon Reel the Oaim folks forgot to record, learn it if I liked it, and when asked "What's the name of that one?"-- there's the opportunity to tell a story of the resource that is C&F, the responsiveness of Oaim, that there is a whole rake of Doon reels and of Padraig O'Keeffe's role in naming them.
I posted this early in the year, then forgot about until last week, when I finally emailed OAIM and asked - sure enough, they had audio problems and lost a lesson (not sure why they didn't re-record it ...).

Anyway, Kirsten Allstaff mentions in her lesson on the Connacht Heifers that it begins with "a F-roll, just like the Doon Reel" so I presume the setting intended was this one:

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=sessi ... /5574/2919
I'd learned that as "Callaghan's" after Arturo Callaghan, an Italo-Celt who had a chips stand in Doon where the musicians used to lunch. At least that's how I introduce the tune...

With tongue in cheek (in case you hadn't noticed),

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I'd learned that as "Callaghan's" after Arturo Callaghan, an Italo-Celt who had a chips stand in Doon where the musicians used to lunch.
I believe the business was taken over by the eldest son.

My brain hurts