Whistle Instruction

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Whistle Instruction

Post by ytliek »

Carmel Gunning - Instructional book and 64 newly composed tunes with variation and ornamentation plus CD attached.

Or check her out on FB
Cathal
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've has a penny whistle for about 4 years but just started to learn. I enjoy playing and have about 6 different whistles at this point. Regards, Lee

Post by Cathal »

I like the Cathal McConnell penny whistle instruction lessons on Homespun tapes. He starts out simple and moves on from there. I thinks it's very traditional Irish penny whistle. And keep an eye out for sales and it can be downloaded sometimes for half price. It is accessed through the purple player platform. I came across it from purchasing numerous guitar lessons.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I like the Cathal McConnell penny whistle instruction lessons on Homespun tapes
You may want to look at this one as well then.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

avanben
Tell us something.: Beginning penny whistler, but have a musical background, love Irish/Celtic music. Retired and cruise/live on our boat.

Post by avanben »

Thanks to all for these great resources! Incredibly helpful!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I'd like to put in a thumbs up for Geraldine Cotter's books. I don't know if the older ones are still available but 'Rogha : Geraldine's choice' is a fine collection of tunes, clearly laid out with a play along CD (according to the cover)
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I’ve received word that there is some confusion over the tutorial that was formerly called "The Clarke Tin Whistle--a Handbook by Bill Ochs” (once refered to by our Leader Dale as “the best whistle tutorial on the planet”). This has been updated and is now entitled, "The Bill Ochs Tin Whistle Handbook” published by Mel Bay,

There is another, similar sounding title by Ian Bascombe and Finn Harper entitled “The Official Handbook for the Clarke Tin Whistle”, published by the Clarke company, with different contents from the original Bill Ochs book.

And, to add to the befuddlement, there are still copies of the original "The Clarke Tin Whistle--a Handbook by Bill Ochs” in circulation on the second-hand market.

I pass this on so folks looking for one or the other won’t land up purchasing something different than what they intended.

(Not advertising for Amazon, but if you look there you'll find all three with illustrations of the covers and descriptions.)

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Maddie
Tell us something.: My musical interests include soprano, alto, tenor & bass recorders, 12-hole alto C ocarina, and high D tin whistle.

Post by Maddie »

The Ryan Duns YouTube lessons were mentioned earlier in this thread. This page has links to the videos in order, including which tunes are taught in each video: http://whistle.gofortli.com/lessontunes/RyanDuns/
Sharon Leigh
Tell us something.: I had my fifth whistle lesson today, a day after my 75th birthday. Also today for the first time ever I experienced the joy of playing several tunes with another student....my eyes leaked for happiness as we concluded our little recital for our teacher. I have found the information here in the forum to be very helpful as I have EVERYTHING to learn about playing the tin whistle. I am playing a Walton (soprano) D whistle. I have heard about and am wanting to hear shared experience from those who have played either or both the Gene Milligan soprano D whistle with practice mouthpiece and the Burke soprano D whistle with session mouthpiece, narrow bore. Thank you for considering my application.

Post by Sharon Leigh »

2/10/2020
Hello, this is my first post here. My first whistle lesson was January 16, 2020, and my teacher is using the Mary Bergin Irish Tin Whistle Tutorial Book and CDs (2 CDs). The book is available from MaryBerginWhistle.com. There are two volumes now, with a third volume to follow. The CDs are helpful in that I can play the again and again until the music is something I can anticipate. That frees me to concentrate on the written music. You see, I'm learning to read music at the same time I am learning the heart/rhythm of Irish music. For me, the book/CD combination is very helpful. I see the notes by name and on the staff, and hear then played. Hope this helps someone. Sharon Leigh
ltwhistle
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish whistle for nearly 20 years. My favorite brand is Overton. I also like high whistles more.

Post by ltwhistle »

Learn Tin Whistle - https://learntinwhistle.com
Free online tin whistle tutorial & lessons, plus hundreds of tunes with tin whistle tabs (w/ downloadable PDFs).
ltwhistle
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish whistle for nearly 20 years. My favorite brand is Overton. I also like high whistles more.

Post by ltwhistle »

Aslo, fresh video series on YouTube channel by LearnTinWhistle.com, which demonstrates tin whistle playing basics as well as traditional ornamentation techniques with a couple of exercises too.

Check here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXqxh8a ... x8wTiJpahY
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Steve Bliven wrote:I’ve received word that there is some confusion over the tutorial that was formerly called "The Clarke Tin Whistle--a Handbook by Bill Ochs” (once refered to by our Leader Dale as “the best whistle tutorial on the planet”). This has been updated and is now entitled, "The Bill Ochs Tin Whistle Handbook” published by Mel Bay.
My Clarke Celtic came with a leaflet (of no use to anyone who can't read music, I'm afraid) that mentions that very book. I'll have to consider picking up a copy.

On the subject of material included with mass-produced whistles, absolute beginners shouldn't discount the little books that can be had with a whistle for about $20 US. I have examples from both Walton's and Feadóg. They are basic in nature, but if anyone would like more details, I'll happily provide them.
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

My dad was an accomplished amateur musician that played piano, sax, clarinet, and flute. When he passed away, I went through his huge collection of sheet music and found a copy of "The Whistler's Pocket Companion". I got a whistle and started learning from that book. I have an older edition. Do not know if the current one is as good but regardless you would want the spiral bound. I find it has the right balance of instruction and tunes and they progress in difficulty at a very gradual pace.
Del
Tell us something.: I have an interest in penny whistle traditional folk music from a variety of world cultures. In addition to penny whistle, I play the mandolin, guitar and 5-string banjo.

Post by Del »

Thank you for posting this amazing list of resources! :shock: :shock: :shock:
c_lamb

Post by c_lamb »

// Online weekly interactive group lessons //
www.whistleworkshops.com

Hi, I run weekly group (& private) tin whistle and low whistle lessons online via Zoom. I have run workshops at many festivals around the world while touring with Réalta and it is great to be able to maintain a connection with students from all over from the comfort of our own homes.

Group classes are small to ensure they are interactive and I run a variety of different levels throughout the week to ensure students are matched with other students at a similar level. Classes cost £50 for a term of 4 weeks. Each lesson lasts for 1 hour and includes follow up videos and other resources. Further information is available from www.whistleworkshops.com and of course if you have any questions please just ask!

Many thanks
Conor
www.conorlambmusic.com