Whistle Instruction

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Whistle Instruction

Post by eskin »

I have one-hour tune teaching lesson recordings from Zoom available at:

https://michaeleskin.gumroad.com

More info on the lessons at:

http://michaeleskin.com/whistle
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

John McSherry is now offering "comprehensive courses for Low Whistle and Uilleann Pipes." Check out www.johnmcsherry.com. All videos are accessible for a monthly subscription.
Lonyy
Tell us something.: I want to be a part of Chiff and Fipple community, so I am registering now. I am here because I fond of music instruments, especially flute and others. Now I can play the piano and the guitar, and flute is the new instrument for me.

Post by Lonyy »

I've been trying to whistle for a couple of weeks, and there is no result! Glad I found this thread and so many useful videos, thank you all!
Ricko
Tell us something.: My first whistle arrived today, a sweetone... apparently a reasonable starter whistle..... and I'm looking forward to getting to a session in my home town of Melbourne once my chops are ready

Post by Ricko »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Hello All,
I've just started on my whistle journey, just ask my wife and my neighbours, I'm feckin 'orrible.... also I don't learn at the rate I used to at 52. But I'm okay with that. I used to be a professional muso on stringed instruments so there's some fundamental knowledge underpinning everything. I bought a cheap whistle that makes the right noises and it will do until I play with other and need to tune to them. In searching the web I came across a couple of subscription based resources and I'd love it if anyone has any experience of either of the following:
1. Online Academy of Irish Music
2. McNeela's "Ultimate Irish Tin Whistle Lessons" with John O'Brien.

I ask as I don't feel like throwing my hard earned away, but if they are really good I feel that I need to start at the beginning and work my way through a "method" type process. Any information/wisdom will be most appreciated....
Cheers,
Rick
More cheese = more holes
More holes = less cheese
More cheese = less cheese
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Another option might be to check out the local Comhaltas branch if you have one. Comhaltas groups often teach whistle, and the hourly rates are likely to be a fraction of those of a private tutor because the teaching's done by volunteers. It may be in a small group rather than one-to-one, but that can be an advantage to a beginner.

They may also run slow sessions, so that once you've got going on your whistle a bit, you can start learning to play with others. This will bring your skills on better than only ever playing solo.
Average Whistler
Tell us something.: Recovering Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder sufferer. Started too late in life to be great, but good enough for my own enjoyment. Recently started learning Irish flute.

Post by Average Whistler »

You may also wish to check out Blaine Chastain's online courses... I used them for a while and found them helpful. Within the courses are technique courses and foundational courses. The technique courses teach ornaments while foundations is basic stuff like how to hold it etc. There is a huge library of tune videos, many of which include sheet music (appreciated by those of us who play piano or classical instruments), and which Blaine demonstrates as both complete tunes and by phrase. He also includes accompaniment without the melody so that one can play along.

https://www.blaynechastain.com/i-teach/

Good luck in your journey!

AW
DeTerminator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DeTerminator »

I've been practicing with what I find on YouTube for the past 1.5 years or so. So far, I've found a lot available that is useful for both whistle and flute.