It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:23 pm 

If you have a Becker low D whistle I'd like to hear from your regarding your opinions about it. And although it may make little difference, please note if you have one of the later /current designs with the Delrin fipple as opposed to wood.
Thank You.

I currently have his high D & Eb and alto G. I like the High D and Alto G well enough. I don't know if it's me or what, but I just can't seem to get the sound I like out of the Eb.
In fact now that I've reminded myself I think I'll wrote James and ask him about that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:23 am 

I used to have a Becker low D but it got lost one night during an unfortunate event involving gin and beer. I liked how it played. In fact, it felt similar to the Becker A. I can't compare it to the G because I don't have one. I've noticed that my Becker D, C, and A are clearly from the same family; they share similar favorable characteristics. One member on this forum, Angelicbeaver, has posted reviews on low Beckers. Another fellow in England by the last of Cartmell has done a bunch of reviews on YouTube. He may have done some on Beckers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:58 am 

I used to have a Becker low D. I bought it as a first try for low D, to see if that would work for me. After all it was only $20..
It wasn't tunable, same as my Becker high D (which I still have), but it was at concert pitch and played fine. Nothing wrong with it at all, but the sound was, I don't know, well, anonymous, maybe. A bit airy, and not unlike the Becker high D. When I much later came across a number of low Ds that I could try I liked all of them better - they had more character, in a way, and I ended up with one that I particularly liked. Vastly more expensive though. Later I gave away my Becker low D to someone who wanted to try low D. I wouldn't have given it away if I thought it was a bad instrument. It isn't. It's just that I like the tone of my new low D much better, it wants me to play it.
I do recommend the Becker low D as a first low D, if (like me) you want to find out if a low D is for you, and you don't have any means to try one in person. At least if you can get it at a similarly low price.