It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:20 pm 

I was not suggesting it was indeed a fajardo wedge but suggesting its very similar. Fajardo wedges are use to correct intonation and indeed does have an effect on tone unlike this perturbation mod. Apologies for the confusion. As for the taper, it was referencing the flue and not headjoint :poke: . A wider bore headjoint is another way to help bring intonation in line. I have never seen a stepped cylinder flue. “With the right headjoint, a cylindrical whistle or flute doesn't have to be flat in the second octave” yes indeed!
What Hans has done is the opposite approach to a wider bore headjoint by interrupting the node instead of the antinode of the fundamental.

The mention about concentrating on getting the second octave best in tune instead of the first octave comes from a discussion I had about intonation tuning and my thoughts on ensuring the second octave is best in tune is a matter of Auditory psychoacoustics where the ear does not identify out of tune notes in lower frequency note than higher notes. Have a read up about Auditory Psychoacoustics, it's a very interesting subject. There are soo many instruments that have poor intonation and I know for a fact that all too many makers concentrate on getting the first octave in tune instead, on instruments with poor intonation, this is not the way to go in my eyes (not all makers are the same). That is the least acceptable scenario since it does make you have to push far too much to get the second octave in tune on a poorly voiced instrument, it's easier to blow the first octave in tune than the second on instruments with poor intonation in many cases.

“I have a whole roll of Irish whistles which are not flat in the 2nd octave, but produce every note from the low bell note up to the 6th in the 2nd octave in tune, using a relatively even breath. Yes of course you have to change your breath to switch octaves but there's no "pushing extra hard" to get an inherently flat 2nd octave in tune. (I don't buy whistles like that.)”

Yes, you have most probably purchased instruments that are better tuned in the second octave and a tapered windway helps here. Window width as well as L/B ratio plays an important role with regards to how an instrument performs in both octaves. That is how much room you have in both. Hans has said that he needs to push second octave higher notes extremely hard to play them in-tune on his Killarney and is correct in saying it is common to cylindrical bore whistles.

“The disadvantage to having the 2nd octave flat is that it exacerbates the already-present volume differential between the octaves, because you're "blowing out" the 2nd octave and underblowing the low octave to keep them in tune to each other.”

That's another reason why I suggested concentrating on getting the second octave in tune as opposed to the first octave.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 pm 

Quote:
And I will add that they're all out of tune kids.
Not one been made that isn't.
Get over it and start playing.

Aint that the truth! :thumbsup: :waah: