Opinions on the O'Briain and the Freeman Blackbird?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Opinions on the O'Briain and the Freeman Blackbird?

Post by MichaelRS »

If you have received and played a Cillian O'Briain improved Feadog and/or a Freeman Blackbird over the last year or so...
What do you think of them? How do they compare?

Did you find the O'Briain sufficiently "improved" to be worth 5 times as much as the original Feadog it's modified from?

If you knew beforehand what you know now about either instrument, would you still order it, or pass?
Why? (If not already explained)

Thank you.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Opinions on the O'Briain and the Freeman Blackbird?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The O'Brain is a player's whistle. It is everything I want in a whistle, it's easy going without pretending to be something other than simply a straightforward whistle, set up and voiced for playing traditional music. It's my go to whistle and if I'd loose it I'd have to get another one straight away. Can't fault it.

The O'Briain and the Blackbird are two very different whistles.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:The O'Brain is a player's whistle. It is everything I want in a whistle, it's easy going without pretending to be something other than simply a straightforward whistle, set up and voiced for playing traditional music. It's my go to whistle and if I'd loose it I'd have to get another one straight away. Can't fault it.

The O'Briain and the Blackbird are two very different whistles.
Very much seconded. I couldn't do without the O'Briain. I never play the Blackbird I own. It could be me, but I just can't make interesting enough music with the Blackbird. I can be expressive with the O'Briain and make the sound I want; I can't do that with the Blackbird, although there's nothing wrong with it. I mean, it sounds OK.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I can be expressive with the O'Briain and make the sound I want; I can't do that with the Blackbird
I am not sure I'd go as far as that, I suppose it depends on where you find your expression in music. But I think I know what you're getting at. I'd agree with saying the blackbird has a much more narrow tonal focus.

But at the same time I am not sure Michael is interested in nuances like that. Which whistle is a good choice really depends on what you are looking for in a whistle. Which makes writing about these things a bit of a futile exercise, unless you know who's writing and how they play, and know it well, it's not easy to weigh someone's words. I mean, a while ago I read a review saying 'this whistle will easily take whatever ornamentation I can throw at it', which is a strange statement in the first place, but the clip that was attached to the review showed the writer using no rolls at all and barely a cut or grace where you'd expect them. Which put the whole thing in quite a different light. Dancing about architecture, words are cheap and all that.

It is ofcourse equally difficult recommending a whistle without knowing in some detail what someone's abilities are and what they're looking for.
My brain hurts

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

I'm having mild deja-vu. No matter. I don't own a Blackbird, so I can't make a proper comparison but I do have the D and Eb from O'Briain and they are in constant rotation. I like the Eb more than the D, maybe because it's my first whistle in that key so it's a novelty but I also love the sound and it feels really reactive. As a matter of fact I did a video of Rocky Rd to Dublin for a friend last night on it to compare notes. No, I won't play it in this shark tank. Hah

Money well spent in my opinion.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Polara Pat wrote:No, I won't play it in this shark tank.
Oh go on. :twisted:
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

benhall.1 wrote:
Polara Pat wrote:No, I won't play it in this shark tank.
Oh go on. :twisted:

haha, no.

This tune haunted me for a while since I sort of learned it wrong early on, then decided to pretend that it didn't exist for a while. Now that I'm a slightly better player I decided to re-visit it and figure out my mistakes. It's pretty good but not grand. Still needs polishing.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

The OP might consider checking out the whistles of Timothy Potter, located in Altadena, CA—not all that far from Orange County (even by California mileage). He makes a nice product (although there is a religious overtone to his advertising) and, by visiting, it might possible to try before buy.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Image
You could have substituted this for your avatar—if you could get a nappy on its head....

Best wishes.

Steve
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Steve Bliven wrote:The OP might consider checking out the whistles of Timothy Potter, located in Altadena, CA—not all that far from Orange County (even by California mileage). He makes a nice product (although there is a religious overtone to his advertising) and, by visiting, it might possible to try before buy.
I do think Potter relocated to Utah from Calif. Nice whistles.
http://tjpottermusic.com/index.htm

I do have both whistles O'Briain and Freeman Blackbird and they are two different sounds to my ear. Very nice whistles with good price point.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Is this what shark fin soup is made from? :D
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

ytliek wrote:Is this what shark fin soup is made from? :D
It's cruel, is what it is. Look it up. I've had it once, but I wouldn't ever have it again.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

benhall.1 wrote:
ytliek wrote:Is this what shark fin soup is made from? :D
It's cruel, is what it is. Look it up. I've had it once, but I wouldn't ever have it again.
It's a brutal business. Millions killed. Another species on the road to extinction at the hands of the human race.

My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

ytliek wrote:I do think Potter relocated to Utah from Calif. Nice whistles.
http://tjpottermusic.com/index.htm
From an ebay listing, looks like he is shipping from Council, Idaho. Too bad for OP, thought he could run over to Mr. Potter's and try out some whistles to compare.

I like the Potter for learning tunes—it's soft and relatively quiet and less offensive to those within hearing range during the stumbles and bumbles.

Best wishes.

Steve