Low whistle hold/posture help video

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Low whistle hold/posture help video

Post by jemtheflute »

I knocked out this rather impromptu low whistle fingering/hand posture demo video this-afternoon in response to a conversation in a low whistle group on Fussbook. It deals with an old but perennial topic, so whilst there's nothing really new in it, it may be helpful to some:
https://youtu.be/HEOx4IJyO_8
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Low whistle hold/posture help video

Post by ytliek »

Nice lesson there.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Thanks for that excellent lesson.
A year ago or so, after I got my first low D, I asked about "piper's" grip and why I should use it, when I had absolutely no problems with the span or covering of holes. There were many comments, but none mentioned straightness of the wrist (or mentioned the wrist at all). That's very interesting. When I get home I'll take a look at my right arm's posture and take it from there.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Ok looked at myself in a large mirror.. yes, my right hand wrist is held at an angle. So I'm going to work on changing my posture and re-training my right hand so that I can again hit the holes correctly. I'm adopting more of a piper's grip with my right hand, looking at the mirror to find a position where the wrist is as straight as possible. While at it I noticed (due to the mirror) that it's possible (without changing how I cover the holes) to change how I hold my left arm so that the left wrist is also more straight. It feels fine, so I think this will be a good thing.
Again, thanks for the video!
LI Whistler

Post by LI Whistler »

Thank you . Learned things from it that may help me pick up the low whistle more than once every 3 months. And maybe pursue it actively.