Experience with Becker Alto A or G?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Experience with Becker Alto A or G?

Post by MichaelRS »

Like title says, just wondering if anybody has had any personal experience with the Becker alto A or G and what their thoughts were on it/them?
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Re: Experience with Becker Alto A or G?

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I've got the Becker G. If you need to fill gaps in your lineup, inexpensively, you can hardly go wrong with the Becker. Very soft blowing, and fairly quiet, but has a decent, round tone. I think mine was $15. It's not my favorite whistle, but when you factor in the price, it's hard to beat. I think the Freeman was something like $40 when I bought it, and the Reviol was maybe $250 with additional bodies being $75 (I have an A, G, F, E alto set with one head that fits on all of them).

I threw together a comparison video with my three G whistles (Becker, Freeman, and Reviol), just for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6a8EwM ... e=youtu.be

And here's an older one I did with the Becker and the Carbony E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUoyrkcS8uI
Nathaniel James Dowell
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

AngelicBeaver wrote:I've got the Becker G. If you need to fill gaps in your lineup, inexpensively, you can hardly go wrong with the Becker. Very soft blowing, and fairly quiet, but has a decent, round tone. I think mine was $15. It's not my favorite whistle, but when you factor in the price, it's hard to beat. I think the Freeman was something like $40 when I bought it, and the Reviol was maybe $250 with additional bodies being $75 (I have an A, G, F, E alto set with one head that fits on all of them).

I threw together a comparison video with my three G whistles (Becker, Freeman, and Reviol), just for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6a8EwM ... e=youtu.be

And here's an older one I did with the Becker and the Carbony E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUoyrkcS8uI
You're a good man. I don't care what anyone else says :lol:
Thanks
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Here's my old Goldie G. I wish I'd kept it. Plays very much like the F. At the time, I felt it wasn't used enough to justify hanging onto it, though it's probably my favorite of all the G whistles I've tried.

https://youtu.be/-vFNUEJv9os
Nathaniel James Dowell
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

AngelicBeaver wrote:Here's my old Goldie G. I wish I'd kept it. Plays very much like the F. At the time, I felt it wasn't used enough to justify hanging onto it, though it's probably my favorite of all the G whistles I've tried.

https://youtu.be/-vFNUEJv9os
Oh yeah. That sounds the best.
And a difference of ONLY $280 between it and the Becker. :lol:

But that Becker sounded good enough for me. I'm very happy with his D & Eb I got this month. Although I realize there's not necessarily a direct translation to a larger whistle other than one can count on his craftsmanship to make it as good as possible.

I like when people showcase whistles with just the whistle themselves, without echoing enhancement or accompanying soundtracks, so you can more nearly here with the whistle sounds like.
Becker has some old demos on his site, but again the accompanying soundtrack so it's always hard to tell.
Thank you again for your effort here.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

I have Becker A, G, and low D whistles. I'm not much of a player, but I like them; they're easy to play, the alto whistles aren't a stretch or difficulty for my smallish nareow- fingered hands, etc. I think the tone mellowish but not too quiet. And the price was certainly right!
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Thank you all. I believe I'm going to be ordering the G at the first of the month.