WTT/WTB Goldie Low D Soft Blowing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ScottishWhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in learning from experienced flautists and whistlers and hopefully find some decent whistles in trades!

WTT/WTB Goldie Low D Soft Blowing

Post by ScottishWhistler »

Hi there I have a fantastic Goldie Medium Blowing Low D Whistle I’d like to trade for a Soft blowing Goldie Low D, I’d give the medium blower a 9/10 but after trying a famous friends soft blower I knew that was the one for me.

I’m based in the UK and would be willing to trade or buy.

Cheers M
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Re: WTT/WTB Goldie Low D Soft Blowing

Post by stiofan »

I have a soft(ish) blower (tenor D) on order from Colin I'm patiently waiting for (sold my 2007 medium blower last month). When I talked with him in December, he told me he now makes 6-7 or so gradations of hard/medium/soft blowers, so there's a lot of variable in that range to choose from. Good luck with your search for a preowned one, I'm sure they're around if you're willing to wait. Btw, I asked Colin about that famous friend of yours, he says MM is a "biter," so prefers a soft blower. :P FWIW, apparently John McSherry also plays softer blowing Goldies. I've also wondered what type of Goldie Ross Ainslie plays.

Are you going to Celtic Connections? Might ask around if you're out and about in Glasgow.
Trossachs
Tell us something.: Whistle player based in central Scotland. Discovered trad music after moving to a village with a thriving musical life and now immersing myself in it as much as possible.

Post by Trossachs »

According to a friend who knows Ross, he uses "extra hard blowing" Goldies.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

stiofan wrote: he now makes 6-7 or so gradations of hard/medium/soft blowers, so there's a lot of variable in that range to choose from.
But how to choose?

When I went to buy a Boehm flute I went into a local band instrument shop where they had a range of Yamaha flute headjoints with a half-dozen different cuts to try and a soundproof booth to try them in. I spent quite some time playing them all until I settled on one.

Is there anywhere on earth that has all half-dozen Goldie Low D head gradients to try?

I like my Goldie "M" but might I like another windway height more? I have no way to know, probably, without puchasing six different Goldie heads, or flying to Germany. (If he indeed has all of his different styles to hand- many makers don't keep much of their own work.)

BTW my Low D has "M" and my Low D has no such markings at all.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

According to a friend who knows Ross, he uses "extra hard blowing" Goldies.
That makes a lot of sense, since Colin also mentioned that highland pipers lean toward hard blowers, whereas uilleann pipers tend to go for soft to medium ones. How Ross Ainslie can make an extra-hard blower sing that way he does is beyond magical (same goes for Michael McGoldrick, though on the other end of the soft/hard spectrum).
But how to choose?

When I went to buy a Boehm flute I went into a local band instrument shop where they had a range of Yamaha flute headjoints with a half-dozen different cuts to try and a soundproof booth to try them in. I spent quite some time playing them all until I settled on one.

Is there anywhere on earth that has all half-dozen Goldie Low D head gradients to try?

I like my Goldie "M" but might I like another windway height more? I have no way to know, probably, without puchasing six different Goldie heads, or flying to Germany. (If he indeed has all of his different styles to hand- many makers don't keep much of their own work.)

BTW my Low D has "M" and my Low D has no such markings at all.
Good point, Richard, especially from someone who's owned or played more whistles than most of us will ever see in a lifetime! As most everyone knows, Colin will go to great lengths to send out the instrument that'll suit the various and sundry preferences each and every buyer (amateur or pro) is looking for in a whistle, within reason, of course. I just mentioned the variations in gradation (based mostly, but not only on windway height) for those (like me, currently) who may be after playing characteristics somewhere between soft/medium/hard (which, when I bought my last Goldie tenor D in 2007, was all he was making).

Sorry for hijacking your post a wee bit, Martin, but hope you're having a fantastic time at CC.
cheers,
stephen