Alto whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Njr
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a new whistle player with a few questions I'd like to ask to people who know what they're talking about.

Alto whistles

Post by Njr »

Hi all, I have a question about alto whistles I'm hoping someone can answer for me. I'm a novice whistle player who can't read music, I play by tab, and my knowledge of music theory is sketchy at best. It boils down to the fact that I really like the sound of alto whistles in the keys of A and Bb. I've been learning to play simple melodies such as nursery rhymes to get used to the fingering with tunes I know so I can tell if the notes are right, and I do okay. I have a few soprano d whistles typical of beginners which I like, but the alto whistles have a lovely deeper sound without going to far down towards the low d. What I'd like to know is basically if I played a tune on an alto whistle with the same fingering that I use on a d whistle, will the tune come out okay? Would either the A or Bb whistle work better, or both, or neither? I only play for myself and the kids so there's no other instruments to worry about as of yet.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Njr
piperjoe

Re: Alto whistles

Post by piperjoe »

You're on the right track.

Basically, you finger the whistles the same, and the tune comes out right. But, in a different key.

So, if you're playing by yourself, no problem. If you're playing with someone else, they will have to transpose.

If you have a D whistle, that means that with all the holes covered you're playing a D note. A tune beginning on that note will usually be in the key of D. If you have an A whistle with all the holes covered you're playing an A. A tune starting on that note will usually be in the key of A.

I've been playing whistles for a millennia or two, but last studied music theory long before I bought my first whistle, so keep the salt shaker handy. There are others on the site who will be able to give you a much more precise and scholarly explanation. (Panceltic...want to pipe up? Sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

To paraphrase Duke Ellington, " If it sounds good, it is good!".

Piper Joe
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

piperjoe wrote:A tune beginning on that note will usually be in the key of D.
Have to say the first five tunes starting on D that came into my head after reading that are actually in the key of G, which really isn't surprising because starting on the dominant or fifth degree of the scale is as common as anything. But, yes, the tunes will be fine but in a different key. :-)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Njr
Tell us something.: I'm a new whistle player with a few questions I'd like to ask to people who know what they're talking about.

Post by Njr »

Thanks guys, that's what I'd hoped. Means I can get an alto and keep right on playing, awesome!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

All whistles will play your tune, with the same fingering, it will just be in the key of that particular whistle, not a problem when playing for yourself.

(I also bought an 'A' whiste because I found the 'regular' ones too shrill.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.