Burke O Ring Greasing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Matthewlawson3
antispam: No

Burke O Ring Greasing

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Hi, I have a brass Burke Narrow Bore D and I have decided to grease the O rings.

Do I need to disconnect the fingering tube/bore from the tuning joint when I do this or just disconnect the mouthpiece/tuning slide portion from the tuning joint?

If you do have to disconnect the fingering tube/ bore, how should I do that?
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Burke O Ring Greasing

Post by kkrell »

I provided the link to the care instructions in your previous Burke topic. Shows where it separates & what grease to use.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107845#p1211619
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

Thank you.

Is there an O Ring that needs to be greased on the other side of the tuning slide joint? The side connected to the fingering bore/tube?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Matthewlawson3 wrote:Thank you.

Is there an O Ring that needs to be greased on the other side of the tuning slide joint? The side connected to the fingering bore/tube?
Just the one inside the slide housing. Don't try to disassemble anything on the body side. The instructions also tell you how to clean the windway with the soap solution to clean & help prevent clogging. Note that you blow through the excess and don't actually rinse off with water.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

My notes I got with my Burke I believe show that you drip the solution into the window and let it drip out the mouthpiece opening. I guess you would call that the windway? Where you blow through?

The directions you linked to look like you drip it into the mouthpiece and out the window.

Does it matter which way it is done? Is there a better way? What is the windway and window?
Tor

Post by Tor »

Got the Burke PDF file.. thanks!
I have a Burke low D and I guess I should try to keep the O rings in shape, as per the document.
But I have some trouble figuring out what the lubricant really is, i.e. how to get hold of the magic stuff. The doc refers to
a) "o'ring lubricant" - where to get that? Online somewhere?
b) "synthetic grease". No idea what that is - or in what kind of shop I should start looking.
c) "Petroleum jelly" - is that something that is well known in English-speaking countries? Unfortunately I have no idea what it is or where to get it. Are there any alternative names around for this?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

Matthewlawson3

Post by Matthewlawson3 »

I cleaned my Burke for the first time today.

I first disconnected the upper bore and lower bore from the tuning joint/slide.

I put light amounts of Vaseline on the O rings on both sides of the tuning joint and inside on the surface of the tuning joint.

I then took a silk microfiber cloth strip and tied it to some paracord and pulled it through the lower bore with 91% isopropyl alcohol on the strip.

I then put the whistle back together and dripped drops of water and Palmolive dish liquid mixed together in a bottle in the opening on the top of the mouthpiece. The drops dripped out of the mouthpiece as I held the whistle upside down.

I then covered the opening on the top of the mouthpiece and blew through the mouthpiece as if I was playing a few times.

It is now sitting up vertically and drying.

Did I clean the whistle right?
puipui
Tell us something.: I am playing whistles since 3 years ago but still at a beginner level. I especially like the tone produced by whistles of key of Bb.

Post by puipui »

Tor wrote:c) "Petroleum jelly" - Unfortunately I have no idea what it is or where to get it. Are there any alternative names around for this?
You can buy a small jar of "ha ku sho ku wa se ri nn" at any drug store in Japan.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Ok Vaseline is familiar.. it never said 'petroleum jelly' on any of those I knew, but if that what it's made of then I'm okay! Thanks!