It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:24 pm
Posts: 20
I see/hear people playing Andes music on larger wooden whistles. I like the deeper tone ( not shrill) produced by these larger wooden whistles. Are these considered tin whistles ? Mine is brass and produces more of a shrill sound which my wife hates ! :) To get a deeper toned whistle do I need to buy this larger wooden one ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 am
Posts: 508
Location: Surrey/Hants border, England
If you bought a 'regular' tin whistle it will be in the key of 'D', maybe 'C', these are soprano whistles.

The next step is to a lower keyed whistle, but these are more expensive, & usually come from specialist makers.

The best solution would be to listen to the various keys of whistle on Youtube, to get an idea of what would suit you.

Having said that, there are also recorders & Native American Flutes (which are actually like a whistle), too.

My own preferences are for the lower keyed whistles, from 'C' down to low 'D', however, as you go lower, the finger spacing increases, which may be a problem, so think carefully. :wink:

_________________
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:40 am
Posts: 454
yankees1 wrote:
I see/hear people playing Andes music on larger wooden whistles. I like the deeper tone ( not shrill) produced by these larger wooden whistles. Are these considered tin whistles ? Mine is brass and produces more of a shrill sound which my wife hates ! :) To get a deeper toned whistle do I need to buy this larger wooden one ?



My wife does not like the sound of the soprano D either. But that's less and less true as I get better at it.

"Tin" whistles can be made of wood, or aluminum, or plastic; they are just called tin whistles because mass market whistles were made of metal. Personally, I don't think the material a whistle is made of has much effect on the sound: I think its all about the mouthpiece and the tuning. But lots of people disagree about that.


As mentioned whistles come in a wide variety of sizes and key signatures/ranges. The Low D whistle is a tin whistle, an octave lower. it's close to two feet long. Also as fatmac said the holes get harder to cover as the whistles get bigger

You can find whistles in Bb, or A, or G, or F, and they will have a less shrill sound


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:24 pm
Posts: 20
PB+J wrote:
yankees1 wrote:
I see/hear people playing Andes music on larger wooden whistles. I like the deeper tone ( not shrill) produced by these larger wooden whistles. Are these considered tin whistles ? Mine is brass and produces more of a shrill sound which my wife hates ! :) To get a deeper toned whistle do I need to buy this larger wooden one ?



My wife does not like the sound of the soprano D either. But that's less and less true as I get better at it.

"Tin" whistles can be made of wood, or aluminum, or plastic; they are just called tin whistles because mass market whistles were made of metal. Personally, I don't think the material a whistle is made of has much effect on the sound: I think its all about the mouthpiece and the tuning. But lots of people disagree about that.


As mentioned whistles come in a wide variety of sizes and key signatures/ranges. The Low D whistle is a tin whistle, an octave lower. it's close to two feet long. Also as fatmac said the holes get harder to cover as the whistles get bigger

You can find whistles in Bb, or A, or G, or F, and they will have a less shrill sound
Can you play a song in D major using a low D whistle using the same finger positions ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:06 pm
Posts: 2513
Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA
yankees1 wrote:
Can you play a song in D major using a low D whistle using the same finger positions ?

Yes (although it's generally referred to as a tune if'n there's no singing involved.)

Best wishes.

Steve

_________________
Alcohol is the liquid version of PhotoShop


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:49 pm
Posts: 4313
Location: Lovettsville, VA
yes.

You can learn a D tune on a regular D whistle, play the same tune using the same fingerings on a low D whistle, and it will be one octave lower.

You can play the same tune on a C whistle, using the same fingerings, and it will be in the key of C.

Whistles are known as "transposing" instruments. Basically, if you wanna play a tune in a different key, you can play it on a differently keyed whistle rather than learning new fingerings. It's like capo-ing your guitar. ;)

_________________
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:24 pm
Posts: 20
Wanderer wrote:
yes.

You can learn a D tune on a regular D whistle, play the same tune using the same fingerings on a low D whistle, and it will be one octave lower.

You can play the same tune on a C whistle, using the same fingerings, and it will be in the key of C.

Whistles are known as "transposing" instruments. Basically, if you wanna play a tune in a different key, you can play it on a differently keyed whistle rather than learning new fingerings. It's like capo-ing your guitar. ;)
Thank you and as a new player I sure didn't know that !!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:07 pm
Posts: 314
Location: Orange County, California
Where they actually whistles or where they QUENA flutes?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:25 am
Posts: 12
Dear Yankees1,

As of Andes music thing,
I believe you're talking about a quena (flute) or a quenacho (flute).

And I guess your brass whistle is in the key of D (soprano) !

So there's as a standard let's say:
soprano (the one your wife hate),
Alto (little deeper),
Tenor (the one you like I guess),
Bass.

If that Andes flute (which you called it a whistle) a large deep instrument, then that's a Quenacho (in the key of D---Low/Tenor).

If it's a medium sized instrument, then that's a Quena (in the key of G---Alto).

In the world of whistles,
you are looking at an Alto whistle in the key of G,
Or a Tenor/Low whistle in the key of D.

** if you are a beginner, I guess the Tenor/Low D whistle will be a stretch for you...
** the Alto whistle in the key of G its in the middle of all... So it's the better option for you (just my opinion).

Hope that helps...

Thanks,
Enjoy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:47 am
Posts: 508
Location: Surrey/Hants border, England
I have whistles in low D, low F, low G, A, Bb & C that I use the most, (plus all the high ones up to high G).

The ones I play the most are the low F, the A, the low D, & the C, in that order of preference - anything including & lower than the 'A' is acceptable in our household.

My suggestion would be the low F, I bought mine from Shearwater Whistles, & it wasn't very expensive, worth taking a look.

_________________
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:25 am
Posts: 4106
Location: WV to the OC
Maybe he means an Andes whistle, like he says?

They have plenty of fipple-flutes there.

There's the Tarka, explained and played here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Icptg5uzYE

Well that was on a stage, here they are being played in the mountains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdes_yDi5rc

and another Andes whistle, the Moseno, here being explained and demonstrated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHl0ezo32fg

and here as used in actual performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcGgkMn ... ocoalznpQn

The similarity of this to the Romanian Caval is striking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0jQgTcfpF4

But if the discussion is about Andean flutes like the Kena, yes, it fingers like an Irish whistle but has a thumb-hole.

I suppose you could drill a thumb hole (for D, not C) and then you could use Kena fingering on an Irish whistle.

_________________
Richard Cook
1978 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.182s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)