Dixon brass Trad D.... disappointed.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Re: Dixon brass Trad D.... disappointed.

Post by MichaelRS »

jiminos wrote:hmmm.....

Turns out my favorite whistles are an Oz Vambrace delrin, Parks and Susato. All plastic beasties. I've a couple metal ones that I like, but not as much as I like my plastic.

Thinking about it... My favorite flutes are Shannon and Tipple for D. My favorite F is a Billy Miller.

Seems I tend to the plastic/delrin/ABS/PVC side as well.
Yeah, I noticed it, but yet I didn't. or didn't think much about it. I guess that's what they mean by not seeing the forest for the trees.

Speaking of Tipple type flutes, I'm getting a PVC low D one from that guy at My Whistle in Flutes, *Mark Foster, he apparently started from plans he got off Doug Tipple's site and went from there and expand it out to other types of flutes and whistles at about half the price. Kind of interesting if you look at his website and YouTube channel.

But anyway, how do you find that Tipple flute for playability? I just really don't have the choice right now for anything better because of the price and Mark is going to do one in a wood grain finish (again you can see examples of that on his site or YouTube) that even if I end up not being able to play it very well it'll look really cool on my wall :lol:

but eventually if I develop even a modicum of skill on it I will go for something better and I was really looking at that Shannon.

* fun fact: I actually actually asked Mark Foster why he just didn't call his products "Foster's".I mean Foster's Whistles and Flutes sounds good enough to me. If you have Becker and Anderson and Tipple and Cooperman and so forth, why not take credit for your craftsmanship? Besides I think people remember something better if you tell him it's a Foster's versus it's a My Whistle and Flute.
Anyway...he's just stand-up and humble guy, as reflected in the guarantee that he has on his products, and he just thought that would be too pretentious and he came up with the clever name of My Whistle and Flute, MWF, because his full name is Mark Wesley Foster.
I think that's rather clever, but unfortunately it's kind of like one of those personalized license plates that other people don't get. So what's the point.
Anyway, I think a Craftsman should take credit for his work, and I think it just points to the kind of humble guy that he Is that he didn't want to put himself out there like that.
Totally not MY personality, if I had anything that I could market that I thought people would pay more than 2 cents for. :D :wink: :lol:
jiminos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Dixon brass Trad D.... disappointed.

Post by jiminos »

I absolutely love the Tipple flute. I've had one in my bag for around 15 years or so. Perfect for travel and hiking. Great sound. You can find lots of vids on YouTube of Doug's flutes. Worth twice what he charges.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.