Dixon brass Trad D.... disappointed.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Dixon brass Trad D.... disappointed.

Post by MichaelRS »

Well, I got my brass Dixon Trad D a couple of weeks ago now and I'm very disappointed. It sounds no better than some of the maas produced cheaper ones I've had. On top of that, there's a slight buzzing sound when I play it. I can hear that sound both from a player's perspective and on the recordings I made.

Dixon touts ALL of their instruments as being "hand finished"... without going into what that means exactly. But that's unreasonable on the face of it. I mean you look at their full line of products and how much of it is "out there", that would be extremely labor-intensive and cost ineffective to have somebody going over all of their instrument to make sure that they are well produced. Yet that is essentially the claim they make.

I think they probably pay. SOME attention to their top-half-of-the-line products, but everything else in the lower half or third of the product line just kind of gets a glance and is sent along.

Although I do like their DX 001( non tunable one piece plastic) as being an "okay " whistle. And I don't feel a little cheated by that because it performes as advertised as far as I'm concerned. But that's how I feel with this Trad.

Maybe somebody else who bought a new Trad in the last year or so feels different, but that is my experience; The one I got does not perform as advertised.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Dixon brass Trad D.... disappointed.

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The one I got does not perform as advertised.
This is the blurb on the website:
The Trad is one of our most popular whistles with is simple traditional design. It comes in a choice of brass or solid nickel body. The nickel we use is solid cupro nickel (copper/nickel alloy) rather than plated, it’s the same material as is commonly used in your silver money.

We have found the brass has a sweeter tone than the nickel which might be, as the foundry tells us, because its 20% harder than the brass. Other than this the main difference being that the brass will inevitably tarnish faster.
What about it is wrong?
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I've bought two Dixons recently, a Trad brass in 'G' a month or so ago, & a tunable aluminium in 'A' a few weeks back - I've not had any bother with mine - just need to learn how it wants to be played, especially the second octave.

Also have a Trad brass in 'A' that I bought pre used, (I really like it), & I have a tunable aluminium Duo in 'C' on its way to me right now.

(I have an ABS high 'D' whistle, piccolo, & low 'D' flute from them too, all play as expected.)

I'd suggest looking in the windway for something small that might be making your buzzing, only thing I can think of.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Tor

Post by Tor »

I bought a lot of "cheap" whistles (including two slightly more expensive Dixon Trad D) back when I first started. Not that long ago (2012), and I haven't advanced very much w.r.t. playing music. But when I now go through those old whistles, including the very first one (a "Guinness" edition Walton that I bought at the airport when leaving Ireland), they're all.. fine. There's nothing wrong with any of them, I could easily use whichever for what I do. Although I have settled on just two whistles (with a third one, extremely different from the other two b/c it's actually got what's called "backpressure", in testing). But as I said, the other ones are fine. Walton, Feadóg, Clare, Generation, Clarke.. and some others. They all have various levels of "non-purity" to their sound, if I can call it that, but they are completely ok whistles. In some ways they feel different (as in "better") from when I first started.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

All morning I had the image of Andy Pipkin stuck in my head. I am not sure why but it took a long time to get rid of it.

I'll get my coat now. :D
My brain hurts

fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

"hand finished"..
Could just mean that they put the heads & bodies together by hand....
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I've had very good luck with my Dixons, especially the D and C. It's hard tell whether there is something wrong with the particular whistle or with your playing skill. If I am unable to try out a whistle before buying, I listen to other people playing on YouTube. Every whistle's playing characteristics must be learned and it takes time, at least for me. In my opinion, the Dixon folks have successfully run a good, honest business for years with many happy customers, so their quality control should be very good. In the chance that your whistle is indeed somewhat defective, you should be able to contact Dixon. Too, there are perfectly fine whistles whose nature may never agree with you.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Mr.Gumby wrote:All morning I had the image of Andy Pipkin stuck in my head. I am not sure why but it took a long time to get rid of it.

Thanks for making me look him up. That can't be unseen.

"Yah, I know"
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I've a few of the Dixons and haven't noticed any problems. Everyone's whistle and playing experience is such a subjective territory making for difficult commentary. If you're that disappointed ask Dixon about their return policy.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Polara Pat wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:All morning I had the image of Andy Pipkin stuck in my head. I am not sure why but it took a long time to get rid of it.

Thanks for making me look him up. That can't be unseen.

"Yah, I know"

I was afraid to look him up, but I did. Now, I too, can't erase the image. :P
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Well, "I don't like it."
So there.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

I'm glad everyone else has had more positive experiences. Like I said, I like their cheaper DX001 just fine. As well as I do a couple of my other whistles.
Anyway, with all these positive experiences chances are in the favor of most anyone else having a positive experience with one too. For me, the one I got, did not live up to its reputation for twice the money of other traditional whistles.
Oh well.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Well, "I don't like it."
'Yeah, I know' :P
My brain hurts

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

You could probably just sell it (and other unliked whistles) to someone here at not much of a loss. Chalk it up to lesson learned and try something new.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Polara Pat wrote:You could probably just sell it (and other unliked whistles) to someone here at not much of a loss. Chalk it up to lesson learned and try something new.
That's exactly my plan when I get a few of them together and I'm going to sell them as a bundle my whistles that I don't like