Burke a Professional whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Burke a Professional whistle?

Post by pancelticpiper »

ecadre wrote:
...each time some novice asks about the sounds they are getting out of their whistle or whether they can learn on a common cheap brand of whistle, there is an immediate crop of comments that do not deal with the actual question, but fiercely propound their view that X brand of more expensive tin whistle is the holy grail that all beginners should (must!) buy or miserably fail.
I must have missed those! Are you talking high whistles or low whistles, now?

About a novice asking about the sounds they are getting out of their whistle, that can only be diagnosed in person by having an experienced player try their specific whistle.

Being that we're on the internet and can't do an actual diagnosis, the only things we can do are 1) make guesses about the beginner's problems or 2) recommend that they get a whistle that is known to be reliable, a whistle free of the vagaries of mass-produced cheap whistles.

I would like to address their actual question but I cannot; I don't want to recommend Brand X but I must.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ddp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I 'm reading the forum for sometime now, but recently I bought a Bb whistle as my next whistle after a D one, but I m having problems and I would like to ask for help
Thank you

Re: Burke a Professional whistle?

Post by ddp »

..and this whole thread applies exactly to my case.
Negative comments on Generation's inconsistency made me think that I might not be the only one responsible for my new whistles bad sound.
With no one in my area to at least check my whistle, I ll keep try, but till when?