Playlists

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Playlists

Post by Polara Pat »

Just curious if anyone is using Spotify or Google Play to listen to ITM? I'm trying to embrace a bit of technology even though it generally hates me. Not looking for playlists that specifically focus on tin whistle (that would be a bonus) but just specifically ITM. Failing that I'll have to call Mr. Gumby on his land line (collect of course) and ask him to make me a mixed tape.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Playlists

Post by fatmac »

Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Are these any good?
Well, at least one has the Sultans of Ping included, so that can't be bad. :)

[fixed typo]
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

I hadn't even thought about YouTube playlists. Not sure if I can use those when I'm off the grid.

I'll definitely give them a listen. Thanks
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

I'm addicted to Spotify. Not a lot of emphasis on ITM in my rotation, though. For whistlers, I've got Frank Cassidy and Lawrence O'Hearn. A search on Spotify turns up albums of Micho Russell, Matt Malloy, Seamus Ennis, and any number of other familiar names. To expand your scope, you can look for performers that interest you, look at the collection albums they appear on, and listen to other tracks on those collections.

Only one lonely track by Padraig McGovern, though, which isn't nearly enough. (There can never be enough Padraig McGovern, IMO.)
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

I've seen these "stream everything" that ever been recorded web services and I've not signed up to any of them.

Partly it's because I wish to own physical copies of music that I can play when or where I like (and lend to whom I like), on whatever devices I like and not have to gain permission from or pay rent to some giant corporation.

Partly, it's because I'm not sure what they are offering is of real use to me as a musician. All recordings? If that's even true which I obviously doubt ... why?

No, I do know the attraction, you can look up all sorts of stuff and follow up things that people mention to you etc, but how can you possibly listen to "everything"? It's a consumerist nightmare, where do you start or finish as a traditional musician who wants some kind of roots? And, yes, I am aware that I am also a living/playing contradiction in all of this :-D

To my mind, it's an offer that should be viewed with extreme circumspection. I once listened to the same CD for over a year, 5 or 6 days a week both ways on a commute through the centre of London, and I was still not tired of it by the end of that time. Tunes from it still pop up at random as they do from other well played recordings. It was a Patrick Street CD if you must know ...

Maybe that sort of thing is too extreme for you. It was initially because nearly all my belongings were in storage at the time, and my options to begin with were limited to one random CD, and then it just sort of went on that way.

Of course I listen to all kinds of things on Youtube and TG4 and get the occasional new CD, but there are numbers of recordings that I keep going back to, time and again ... with no advertising, tracking, recommendation algorithms or rent to pay.

It's like playing with the same people for years in sessions, which is incidentally where I've picked up the vast majority of the tunes I play. That and dancing to ceilidh bands and the Morris.

I was going to make a short list of recommendations, but if I make only one (Denis Doody, "Kerry Music", Mulligan Music 1978) maybe that will do and you'll end up listening to it every day for the next year or so and learn all your other tunes from contrary sods sitting in sessions :P

ps. disagree with me and do whatever you like of course. I'm just musing.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Mr Gumby ... "where's me tin whistle". A common cry round these parts.
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

ecadre wrote:I've seen these "stream everything" that ever been recorded web services and I've not signed up to any of them.

Partly it's because I wish to own physical copies of music that I can play when or where I like (and lend to whom I like), on whatever devices I like and not have to gain permission from or pay rent to some giant corporation.

Partly, it's because I'm not sure what they are offering is of real use to me as a musician. All recordings? If that's even true which I obviously doubt ... why?

No, I do know the attraction, you can look up all sorts of stuff and follow up things that people mention to you etc, but how can you possibly listen to "everything"? It's a consumerist nightmare, where do you start or finish as a traditional musician who wants some kind of roots? And, yes, I am aware that I am also a living/playing contradiction in all of this :-D

To my mind, it's an offer that should be viewed with extreme circumspection. I once listened to the same CD for over a year, 5 or 6 days a week both ways on a commute through the centre of London, and I was still not tired of it by the end of that time. Tunes from it still pop up at random as they do from other well played recordings. It was a Patrick Street CD if you must know ...

Maybe that sort of thing is too extreme for you. It was initially because nearly all my belongings were in storage at the time, and my options to begin with were limited to one random CD, and then it just sort of went on that way.

Of course I listen to all kinds of things on Youtube and TG4 and get the occasional new CD, but there are numbers of recordings that I keep going back to, time and again ... with no advertising, tracking, recommendation algorithms or rent to pay.

It's like playing with the same people for years in sessions, which is incidentally where I've picked up the vast majority of the tunes I play. That and dancing to ceilidh bands and the Morris.

I was going to make a short list of recommendations, but if I make only one (Denis Doody, "Kerry Music", Mulligan Music 1978) maybe that will do and you'll end up listening to it every day for the next year or so and learn all your other tunes from contrary sods sitting in sessions :P

ps. disagree with me and do whatever you like of course. I'm just musing.
Nice tangent. You should have started it with "you darn kids..."

Sooo, are you sending me a mixed tape with a hand drawn cover?
irishmuse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by irishmuse »

If you go here Pat:
https://open.spotify.com/user/johnpipes
John McSherry has done an astonishingly comprehensive job on Spotify. A playlist he has made up from what's in their archive? Basically everything you would ever want to listen to, catalogued for you already.
Enjoy
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

irishmuse wrote:If you go here Pat:
https://open.spotify.com/user/johnpipes
John McSherry has done an astonishingly comprehensive job on Spotify. A playlist he has made up from what's in their archive? Basically everything you would ever want to listen to, catalogued for you already.
Enjoy
Thanks, I'll check that out. I was listening to one of the other youtube playlists yesterday while working on some tedious task and this one tune played over and over for probably 25 minutes. I almost lost it. Hah