Cillian O Briain feadog

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The apostol
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have started whistling 2 months ago. Now Im searching for more information about whistles and find out that this should be the place to look for it

Cillian O Briain feadog

Post by The apostol »

Hi, I love this instrument. For me, it sounds and plays even nicer than highly praised Killarneys d whistle (have both).

Only thing, it is not tunable, is it? How can I clean the fipple if it is non movable?

Thanks!
PlanxtyPipes
Tell us something.: Flute, whistle, and (beginner) fiddle player! I live in the Charlotte, NC area and love Irish Traditional Music.

Re: Cillian O Briain feadog

Post by PlanxtyPipes »

The apostol wrote:Hi, I love this instrument. For me, it sounds and plays even nicer than highly praised Killarneys d whistle (have both).

Only thing, it is not tunable, is it? How can I clean the fipple if it is non movable?

Thanks!
Mine is tunable and came that way from Cillian O'Briain. Have you tried a hot water bath to remove it? Or are you nervous that might affect the tweak? If so I'd email Mr. O'Briain and ask him about it. He was very responsive when I emailed him to order mine. There is a contact form and his email address is listed here: http://obriainimproved.wixsite.com/obri ... es/contact
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

My Cillian O'Briain is tuneable too. Always was. It's lovely. Possibly the nicest playing whistle I have. Not the loudest though, which can be an issue in some contexts.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

A tweaked Feadóg? What does he do to them, and does it stop its tendency to crack?
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I have one and I have somewhat mixed feelings about it. It has a sweet "old school" sound and is well intoned, and it takes very very very little air. It's quiet, compared to most of my other whistles. It's very nimble.

When I first got it, maybe six months ago, I found it hard to keep stable and it tended to crack. Now I don't really have the problem, and enjoy the "lightness" of it. But it kind of lacks the "authority" of the Killarney whistles I prefer. It lives in the door pocket of my car, played at traffic lights waiting for my daughter to get out of ballet class.

Sorry to use all these vague adjectives
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

A quiet whistle, that would be ideal!
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog