Do you have a Freeman Generation Bb... or other?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ecadre
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Do you have a Freeman Generation Bb... or other?

Post by ecadre »

I don't regard Generation B flats that I've had as breathy. There are of course different expectations of how whistles are supposed to sound and and what breathy actually means.

I'll also throw into the ring the fact that you are hearing something different from what any audience will be hearing. I was watching a video about a baroque Bass (mid to late 1600s) played by someone in the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment. She commented that students who have tried her Bass were usually shocked at how raspy it sounds when they play it. However, she also pointed out that that is not what a listener from even a few feet away hears.

If your expectation of the sound of a whistle is from an audience perspective, and even then through a microphone and whatever processing, then that is not what you will be hearing as a player.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Re: Do you have a Freeman Generation Bb... or other?

Post by MichaelRS »

Thank you all for your replies. I read each and everyone and appreciate your Insight. I forgot to mention that my generation B-flat arrived 10 days ago from Hobgoblin music USA

My overall impression? Nothing to write home about.

I am now waiting for the arrival of some craft whistles from Becker and My Whistle & Flute (Mark Foster) and Chris Wall. From Mark and Chris I am getting a high D and from Becker I am getting a Heidi and a Eb.

Becker and Mark, under My Whistle and Flute, have lots if YouTube videos on their products out there.
Others have done reviews of Chris Wallace. The one from Mark Foster should be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Thank you all again for your feedback on their Generation Bb.