Silent practice regimen for work meetings?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JackJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Silent practice regimen for work meetings?

Post by JackJ »

I sit through a lot of meetings with sections where I’m not actively engaged. I’m wondering if anyone has developed a practice routine to work on small motor skills in such situations. I’m specifically hoping to improve the speed and precision of my cut/strike/roll fingerings.

Obviously I won’t get any aural feedback on timing. And since I don’t want to make my multitasking too obvious, I won’t have an actual whistle in my hands, but maybe a pencil or marker held under a table.

Anyone try this and find it worthwhile?
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Silent practice regimen for work meetings?

Post by An Draighean »

When I was first learning to finger a pipe chanter, I would practice surreptitiously at church by moving my fingers on the edge of the hymnal while I was holding it low. But it is hard for me to imagine that you would be able to improve cuts or rolls without any aural and tactile feedback.

I feel your pain though - back when I was gainfully employed, I had to sit through weekly conference calls, hours long, that I rarely if ever contributed to. I started bringing work to the calls, and working on it on the conference table during the call. It annoyed the president of the company (most of the fun, I'll admit) but he couldn't complain because i was doing something useful/valuable to the company and he knew it.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
an seanduine

Re: Silent practice regimen for work meetings?

Post by an seanduine »

Okay, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB4lXUhRfMU

when you can run through this very fast. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi