Polymer Tony Dixon v alloy

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SharonC
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a lapsed musician - played clarinet for years. Love folk music - I just today received a Tony Dixon high D whistle :-) Hoping to be good enough to go to a local session one day!

Polymer Tony Dixon v alloy

Post by SharonC »

Hi,
I’m pretty new to the tin whistle (but not new to playing instruments). I’ve got a Tony Dixon DX006 (alloy) and I’m liking it but I’d like something a bit quieter for practicing at home. I want a tuneable one (I’ve started going to a local slow session) - will I notice much difference between my current one and a polymer one? Also, I’m undecided whether to get the ‘pro’ with brass slide or the one without.

Sharon
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Polymer Tony Dixon v alloy

Post by fatmac »

Personally, I find polymer/ABS to be a little less shrill/not as piercing a sound as brass & aluminium.

I too, have the same whistle, but I bought mine as a Duo, with flute head, in 'C'.

I have since bought a Glenluce & a Recorder Workshop polymer whistle, both in 'C', & they both do the job nicely, without spending a lot on them, they are two piece, so would have a little bit of leeway for tuning, I would guess. (Both are a bit quieter than my aluminium.)

P.S. The Tony Dixon one piece ABS high 'D' would likely suit for home practicing, it's a nice whistle.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
SharonC
Tell us something.: I'm a lapsed musician - played clarinet for years. Love folk music - I just today received a Tony Dixon high D whistle :-) Hoping to be good enough to go to a local session one day!

Post by SharonC »

fatmac wrote:Personally, I find polymer/ABS to be a little less shrill/not as piercing a sound as brass & aluminium.

I too, have the same whistle, but I bought mine as a Duo, with flute head, in 'C'.

I have since bought a Glenluce & a Recorder Workshop polymer whistle, both in 'C', & they both do the job nicely, without spending a lot on them, they are two piece, so would have a little bit of leeway for tuning, I would guess. (Both are a bit quieter than my aluminium.)

P.S. The Tony Dixon one piece ABS high 'D' would likely suit for home practicing, it's a nice whistle.
Thanks! I've gone for the tuneable one - having a quieter option for sessions is prob a good thing (for the other players LOL!)
SharonC

Post by SharonC »

Well, it's arrived and is definitely quieter than my other TD whistle, especially in the 2nd octave :-) I think it's going to be good for practicing at home (I'm sure my dog will be pleased haha!)

Bit worried tbh as this is my 2nd whistle purchase in a month LOL and I know it won't be the last. I've already been eyeing up the low D whistles!