FS - Colin Goldie Large hole low D body only - pretty rare..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lefty
antispam: No

FS - Colin Goldie Large hole low D body only - pretty rare..

Post by lefty »

Hi chiffers, happy new year to all.....

I have in my possession a Colin Goldie large hole low D body only, I aquired it from a flute player in Basel during the Basel tattoo last year along with a brass
non tuneable chieftain or a chieftain Gold as they seem to be called, my intention was to get a Goldie tuneable and swap out the bodies to see the difference, but my chieftain gold will do me, weighs a ton but nice soft mellow whistle.

so if anyone is after a large holed body drop us a PM, from memory it has the words big hole and C Goldie engraved/scribed on the inside and the usual Goldie stamp on the outside, if your after one I'll take a trade on a decent High D or C or Bb, although I'm not sure if all Goldies are equal size wise, but I guessing a bit of extra ptfe tape would do if its a little big, shouldn't be though, but don't quote me.

pics can be sent if your interested

cheers Lefty
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: FS - Colin Goldie Large hole low D body only - pretty ra

Post by pancelticpiper »

What date is engraved inside the bell?

Phil Hardy has said that the early Overtons had huge holes, that Bernard started reducing the holes around 1990.

But I think Goldie has made the big-hole "Davy Spillane" style Low Ds all along, when wanted.

Yes the Chieftain Gold (the solid brass Low D) is a beast to hold but has just about the sweetest 2nd octave of any Low D I've played.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
lefty

Post by lefty »

Hi pancelticpiper,
I'm not home at present, but I think its dated June 2012, might be earlier or later, and yes the Chieftain golds are very nice, I remember speaking to Phil 10 years back, regarding making another, he said it was costly and not enough interest, anyway it took years to get one, so it's going knowhere, I've always wondered how the other keys played.
lefty

Re: FS - Colin Goldie Large hole low D body only withdrawn

Post by lefty »

Hi All,

iv'e decided to keep the body and find a Goldie to marry it up to, you never know it could be an amazing blow, so ignore the post

plus I have just seen Mikethebook sold a similar body for a lowly £40, which was a steal whoever bought it...

Lefty
Zeildritch
Tell us something.: Musician, trader and collector. Interested in whistles, strings and Uilleann Pipes. Currently living in Europe, Uk and Ireland.

Post by Zeildritch »

See below.
Last edited by Zeildritch on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

I don't know if this is the right thread to start a discussion about this, but I just wanted to mention that personally I was under the impression that the different Goldie whistle bodies and heads aren't necessarily interchangeable. Meaning that the bodies that Goldie has made for a particular whistle head, wouldn't necessarily produce an intended result in with a different head (or vice versa). According to the discussion in this post, it seems that they are, in fact, interchangeable to some extent. What should I think about this?

I have a Goldie low D with two bodies as well, and I haven't tried to sell the body separately as I was under the above mentioned impression. Thought that it's better to sell the whole whistle with the extra body, should I for some reason ever to decide so.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Hooleh wrote: I was under the impression that the different Goldie whistle bodies and heads aren't necessarily interchangeable...the bodies that Goldie has made for a particular whistle head, wouldn't necessarily produce an intended result in with a different head...
Whatever the intention of a maker, there are two main things involved

1) the tenon and socket size

2) the ID (bore) of the body.

#1 is a mechanical consideration rather than an acoustic one but it's a deal-breaker if the socket is too small. If the socket is too big you can wrap more stuff around the tenon of course.

#2 seems to create bad octaves, if the bore isn't the same ID as the one intended for that particular head.

Now, is there more to it than the ID of the tube? Michael Burke says his Low D's have a number of perturbations of the bore. I don't know if Colin Goldie's whistle bores are straight cylinders or if they have perturbations.

An example of switching heads and bodies on Colin Goldie whistles is that I have a Goldie Low D and a Goldie Low C. The heads are visually the same, the tenons and sockets are the same, the body IDs are nearly the same (oddly enough the C has a slightly narrower bore than the D).

The D body plays excellently with either head, better in some respects with the C head. Initially I thought it was some C-specific voicing that Colin had done to the C head, but later I played a Goldie D that played exactly like my C head on my D body, showing that the differences between my C head and D head are within the range of voicings that Colin uses on his Low Ds. In other words when I compared the three Goldie low-whistle heads, two that had come with Low D bodies and one that had come with a Low C body, I found that one of the D heads and the C head were virtually indentical in how they played. The outlier was the other D head. (This outlier D head doesn't play as well on the C body, by the way, and in that way, yes, it isn't really interchangeable.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle