Gene Milligan High D best of all...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
keelbolt
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Keyboard player for The Jamestown Brothers, 5 String Banjo player for Hello Hopeville, Somerset based, former bass, whistle, etc. No longer regular whistle player so there's a lot of stuff in drawers!

Gene Milligan High D best of all...

Post by keelbolt »

... in my view! I bought an Abell High D - it's sweet, and beautifully in tune, but doesn't stand up against the Gene Milligan High D with the louder (performance) mouthpiece. I've used the Milligan in Gigs from Bangkok to Oman and the UK, and every time it performs beautifully.

Just saying. Given that there's often discussion on here about which instrument to buy...
Thomaston

Re: Gene Milligan High D best of all...

Post by Thomaston »

Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one, but I agree. I like my “quiet head” Milligan more than a friend’s Abell.
With the recent couple of threads regarding the Mellow Dog being airy, I’ve considered recommending Milligan. Mine played very much like my Mellow Dog, but with a more pure tone. But I’m hesitant to recommend a whistle almost 5 times the cost to the OP of those threads.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I have a Milligan coming this week, the aluminum body, quiet head high D. I spoke to Gene Milligan a few days back. He was very friendly and helpful on the phone with a bunch of questions I had. What a fine fellow and a gentleman.
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

keelbolt wrote:... in my view! I bought an Abell High D - it's sweet, and beautifully in tune, but doesn't stand up against the Gene Milligan High D with the louder (performance) mouthpiece. I've used the Milligan in Gigs from Bangkok to Oman and the UK, and every time it performs beautifully.

Just saying. Given that there's often discussion on here about which instrument to buy...
Which particular one do you have, made out of what?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I didn’t realize he was doing metal bodies now... damn you, Whoa!