Mellow Dog help needed

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Re: Mellow Dog help needed

Post by Polara Pat »

Michael, you seem a bit defensive. Learning by tabs is great. Play the music you like and if you want to learn jigs and reels then listen to the ones you like until they are drilled into your brain. If you're not waking up in the middle of the night with the tune playing on repeat in your head then you need to hear it some more. The search for the ultimate whistle has been brought up here several times and you should really consider abandoning that white whale. My first whistle was a squeaky Waltons. Guess what? I still play it and enjoy the sound. It actually lives in a custom pocket inside my jacket. As you said, you're doing this for fun. If it stops being fun...well you know the answer to that. You've definitely gotten some good advice on the three pretty similar posts on the Mellow Dog that you have put up. Hopefully you take some of the better advice from some of the gurus on this forum. Above all else, practice until your fingers fall off. Cheers
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Polara Pat wrote:Michael, you seem a bit defensive. Learning by tabs is great. Play the music you like and if you want to learn jigs and reels then listen to the ones you like until they are drilled into your brain. If you're not waking up in the middle of the night with the tune playing on repeat in your head then you need to hear it some more. The search for the ultimate whistle has been brought up here several times and you should really consider abandoning that white whale. My first whistle was a squeaky Waltons. Guess what? I still play it and enjoy the sound. It actually lives in a custom pocket inside my jacket. As you said, you're doing this for fun. If it stops being fun...well you know the answer to that. You've definitely gotten some good advice on the three pretty similar posts on the Mellow Dog that you have put up. Hopefully you take some of the better advice from some of the gurus on this forum. Above all else, practice until your fingers fall off. Cheers
I get defensive, and a bit peevish, when, as an adult man three times over, I get talked down to.

I am not looking for THE perfect whistle. Just hoping to come across a FEW that might have characteristics that best suit me or is at least closer to what im looking for.

And I probably won't be practicing until my fingers fall off because it's not THAT important to me. I'm not impassioned over this.

If it's too much bother for some people to help me with MY goals with what I DO need help with (as several people have done) or because I'm not playing at the level that THEY think I should be playing at or working toward, then they can ignore my posts.

But if I'm asking what are the playing characteristics of whistle A versus whistle B, that is NOT me asking how many whistles I should practice with or how long I should practice or if it's worth my time to researching different whistles on the web.
I don't need to be told that I'm doing it wrong, because I am doing what is right for ME.

Once again, thanks to those who have helped me with what I need help with and ask for.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

MichaelRS wrote:I Also wish to rebuild my stable and search for something that might even be a more favorite one day. But not do so by going to the expense of having to buy a bunch of whistles willy-nilly just based off what the manufacturer or retailer says about their whistles versus what "regular people" have to say. But I don't take any one person's word as divine gospel in the matter, but use the totality of the statements as a general guide.
Fair enough, but, you'll get just as much varying subjective opinions from the regular folks too. The reviews on many of the whistles have already been done and by qualified/reliable reviewers. Yes, keep it fun.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

[/quote] I get defensive, and a bit peevish, when, as an adult man three times over, I get talked down to.

I wasn't intending any disrespect. I'm also a novice player trying to find my way. I let you know what works for me but my opinion is obviously subjective. Good luck on your journey.