Looking for a low D whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Re: Looking for a low D whistle

Post by AuLoS303 »

Well the Optima tuneable low D is ordered!
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

@pancelticpiper
Valid points. I think the "problem" I had was your statement with the 250-300 pounds. Not even an MK pro costs that much. What about Alba? Never tried one but I heard good things about them. And I have zero problems with the tuning on my V4, V5 or Thunderbird. The Qwistle is tunable anyway -- the only thing I don't like about it is the crossfingered C nat (oxxooo) that sounds too breathy in comparison to the rest of the notes. Next on my list is definitely an MK Kelpie -- since I play mostly for myself I don't "need" it to be tunable. So far, when playing with my wife who plays accordion, the low Ds all sounded fine. I had much more problems with the tuning of the cheaper high Ds. The only one where really every note is perfectly in tune is the carbony "quiet" model I have -- I guess there is a reason for the price apart from the custom made carbon tubes. So I made the exact opposite observation -- with the high Ds a more expensive one sounds better, is easier to play and better in tune most of the time, compared to a cheaper one. There are exceptions of course. My brass Feadóg I just got for xmas is really well in tune, compared to a Generation for instance.
edit: just checked my Thunderbird with a tuner and the tuning between octaves is great, not more than maybe 5 cts difference between 1st and 2nd octave and that can be corrected with the breathing.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Sedi wrote:@pancelticpiper
Valid points. I think the "problem" I had was your statement with the 250-300 pounds. Not even an MK pro costs that much..
The MK low D is £239 on justflutes
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

My Howard Low D just arrived, it has a lovely tone, & I'm well pleased with it! :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

AuLoS303 wrote:Well the Optima tuneable low D is ordered!
I think you'll like it--happy whistling!
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

PB+J wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:Well the Optima tuneable low D is ordered!
I think you'll like it--happy whistling!
Thanks. Just waiting now...
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Maybe the dollar sign I typed shows up as a pound sign for some people?

Just looked up the prices from various makers sites and converted everything to US Dollars:

MK Pro 252USD
Reyburn 300USD
Goldie 303USD
Burke 340USD
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Indeed, my mistake :oops:. Sorry about that. Still - my whistles from kerrywhistles.com are all nicely tuned and easy to play.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

pancelticpiper wrote:Maybe the dollar sign I typed shows up as a pound sign for some people?
I don't think so. As Sedi has implied, it seems he mis-read your original post.

I do tend to agree with you, Richard, that, for low whistles, unlike high whistles, one does seem to have to pay a fair bit of money for anything decent. I'm very lucky to have three nice low whistles, one of which is an absolute beauty: a sterling silver Copeland two-piece tuneable, bought from a member here some years ago. But I like my maple head Reyburn nearly as much, and it has different, desirable qualities - the old 'magic drainpipe' sound, for instance.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

benhall.1 wrote: ...a sterling silver Copeland... a maple head Reyburn...
Well those are two very nice Low Whistles!

Your Copeland is worth more than my car, probably!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

BTW: I caved in and ordered an MK :D . In part because of this thread but I wanted one anyway, just needed someone to push me over the edge. A Goldie will come sooner or later but I want to visit him personally and try some in the workshop, if that can be arranged. It would be just a 4 hr drive.
I do not agree however with the hypothesis that there is not as much difference between cheap and expensive high Ds. Every single one of my more expensive high Ds (Carbony, Tilbury, Killarney, etc) plays better and easier than the cheapos (Generation, Walton, Feadóg), with the exception of my vintage Generation D (and the Tony Dixon DX001) which outperforms almost every other whistle I have but is out of tune (in tune with itself however, so loosening the head would probably help but I am afraid to break it). Indeed a Feadóg (Walton, modern-day Generation) can sound great but it is just harder to play than the more expensive ones I own. Needs more breath control so the note doesn't break or squeak, etc. Just my personal experience as a beginner/intermediate player. A Clarke "Sweetone" can be lovely but the ridge in the back is annyoing when playing for a longer time. BTW: the two whistles in my collection that are best in tune with themselves across the octaves are my Carbony and Tilbury.