It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:55 pm 

Polara Pat wrote:
why wouldn't you want a whistle in every key?

For me it's about need (rather than want).

I'd just as soon have just a single whistle! A nice Low D Whistle would be fine, all I would ever need if playing for my own amusement.

But when I do church gigs I need to cover the keys between four sharps and four flats, the range of keys seen in most hymnals.

And I've ocasionally needed more. I have a C#/Db whistle and I've needed it a couple times! (It's just a chopped Generation C.)

The key of a piece isn't the only consideration, there's also the range. So for one tune in C I might use a C whistle, for another tune in C I might use a mezzo G whistle.

To have every key available in multiple ranges yes I have long had a whistle in every key in my whistle roll. Some hardly ever get used, but when the need arises I have them.

If I exclusively played Irish traditional music in the normal keys I'd really only need a D. Though a C and an E would come in handy for certain tunes.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:19 pm 

I got an Eb early on because I learn tunes by listening to and then playing along with recordings, and I have found many that were a half step up from standard pitch (Gavin Whelan, Matt Molloy, a few McGoldrick tracks, and Dervish to name a few). I started with a Freeman tweaked Generation which worked well enough, but then got a Humphrey and an Oz, because, well I have chronic whistle acquisition disease and excellent taste, and prefer a more clear tone over the generations chiff. I've yet find myself in an Eb session, but when I do, I'll be ready by golly!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:04 pm 

Great responses. I really appreciate the personal stories as well. Lots of good practical insight.
Looks like at some point I may have to get a Susato Oriole Eb with an extra body for...something. But no hurry on that.

I still continue to concentrate primarily on upping my skills with a high D. My Freeman Mellow Dog has not come yet, but I didn't expect it to (anybody know what Jerry's average backlog is on those these days?) and you are pre-warned when ordering a Chris Wall that he has a two month backlog.

Thanks again to everybody for the benefit of their experience and insight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:49 am 

Quote:
I may have to get a Susato Oriole Eb with an extra body for...something.

You may want to consider various options, one Eb whistle may not be like the next one. An O'Briain and a Suasato are so different, for example, they may as well be on different planets.

Key is one thing to consider, tone, playability and volume are part of the equation as well.

When making my comments above about the playability and fun of an Eb whistle, a Susato was not part my thought process.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:14 am 

cailencampbell wrote:
I got an Eb early on because I learn tunes by listening to and then playing along with recordings...

Yes! I too, early on, ended up having to get the small Generations (which I don't like playing) because I was tooting along with all the Mary Bergin tracks. (It still amazes me how great she makes those tiny whistles sound!)

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:39 am 

Another reason to play the Eb (I killed the somewhat tongue in cheek link I posted yesterday).

From Bro Steve's transcription section: see clips here and here. Hard to fathom that was 32 years ago last week (and 16 years since that section went up).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:25 pm 

[quote="Mr.Gumby"]Another reason to play the Eb (I killed the somewhat tongue in cheek link I posted yesterday).

Did you actually have sarcastic remorse? It's a Christmas miracle. :lol: