Freeman Mellow Dog on the way...what say you?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Freeman Mellow Dog on the way...what say you?

Post by MichaelRS »

Along with ordering my Chris Wall tonight I sent out my order for my Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog in high D, which I expect will get here substantially sooner than the Wall whistle due to the backorder on those.
Actually, I don't know if Jerry has a substantial backorder or not, but Chris Wall gives you warning that he does. Up to 8 weeks apparently.

So what can I expect out of my new Mellow Dog? Some of the reviews I've seen are kind of dated, where they basically show Jerry making one whistle out of two.
Whereas now (if I understand it correctly) he makes the tone body in his workshop from scratch, as opposed to doing whatever he did in the past to somebody else's tone body, including adding an extension to it.

So, based on a bunch of good reviews, I think I'm in for a treat. However, since some of the reviews are dated, id just like some fresh opinions here. Especially if you received your Mellow Dog within the last 2 years, since those are the ones probably made with his most current technique ( just guessing at that).

I know some people have commented about the Mellow Dog in my other threads and that's great, please feel free to repeat yourself here. Basically what I'm doing with this thread is trying to reach out to ALL Mellow Dog people to get more feedback.
So come on. Let's let the dogs out :D
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Re: Freeman Mellow Dog on the way...what say you?

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I have many Freeman whistles and the Mellow Dog is a beauty.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

You’ll probably love it. Great whistle!
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I have one and like it though I play it less now than I used to. Its very consistent and the notes won't "break" or crack easily. They have a tone that's pretty loud but not harsh. It's not "airy" or crisp: I'd class it as smooth-sounding. I have seem to have trouble in the second octave which is sometimes slow to respond. It's a really good whistle at a reasonable price, but its not my favorite.

I would compare it to driving a big luxury car vs driving a sports car. The Mellow dog is like the luxury car--smooth, consistent, comfortable. The sports car is nimble, fun, temperamental and less comfortable
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

PB+J wrote:I have one and like it though I play it less now than I used to. Its very consistent and the notes won't "break" or crack easily. They have a tone that's pretty loud but not harsh. It's not "airy" or crisp: I'd class it as smooth-sounding. I have seem to have trouble in the second octave which is sometimes slow to respond. It's a really good whistle at a reasonable price, but its not my favorite.

I would compare it to driving a big luxury car vs driving a sports car. The Mellow dog is like the luxury car--smooth, consistent, comfortable. The sports car is nimble, fun, temperamental and less comfortable
This is almost exactly my feeling on the Mellow Dog. Plays great but not my favourite. I tend to break it out when I need a bit more volume from getting drowned out by other instruments. I do play my Mellow Dog C quite a bit though.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

My Mellow Dog (d) has sweet and smooth tone. Does not break into squeaks much. Not as chirpy as the Blackbird. Though both seem to be similar in volume, the Blackbird sound 'cuts through' a little more, they don't call it the Mellow Dog for nothing.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers